Why Lindy West quit Twitter

6 Likes

In the paragraph quoted, she mentions “free”, “unpaid”, and “pro bono”, a total of 6 times. Seems like she expects some return for the free work she puts in on a free service that she uses to promote herself, but isn’t getting what she wants.

Publicly leaving social media is the new “I don’t own a TV”.

What is your point here? The very real promotional potential is not worth the frustration.

Publicly leaving a specific social media that you’re getting little from is a good, healthy thing, and undeserving of the “I hate hipsters, amirite guys?!” cliché that manages to be far more tiresome than someone who doesn’t watch television.

Yes, we get that you eat meat, don’t do crossfit, and watch TV. We don’t need the pre-emptive catchphrases either.

5 Likes

I think the hard part is that it simply takes man hours, thinking, empathy, and effort to eliminate trolls while maintaining a platform that supports public dialogue. There is no easy tech driven solution.

3 Likes

Mediocre white man here. I can say without a doubt that I fucking love that shirt.

11 Likes

There are several easy technical solutions which would make things way less painful, however. John Scalzi has a good list of features he’d like to see posted on his blog. There are plenty of other similar lists to choose from, all of which would reap major benefits, even though they wouldn’t solve the trolley problem entirely.

As much as I love Twitter, I find it baffling that they’ve done virtually nothing, rather than a few easy-to-implement somethings that would give them a huge PR boost and make a lot of users happy.

2 Likes

I think the only reason why it might be offensive is because white guys are so unused to being on the receiving end of a joke about something they have no control over. They’re usually always on the giving end of that scenario.

12 Likes

I’m sorry for all the precious little snowflakes that would find that shirt offensive.

10 Likes

I’ve managed to make Twitter work for myself. I have something over a hundred followers and a block list a mile long. Specifically I use Block Together to turn Twitter into an enjoyable platform where I can post pictures of my kitties and my projects in relative piece and harmony, find out about other people’s projects and enjoy pictures of their pets, and basically be the thing that Facebook is too greedy and dishonest to be.

Edited to say: Okay, I got curious about how much of a dumpster fire Twitter would be without Block Together, so I’ve turned it off, probably very temporarily.

11 Likes

I’m male, about as white as they come, and fairly mediocre. I am not offended at all by that shirt.

I also think the White Male Tears coffee mugs are freaking hilarious!

6 Likes

Wait…where did you used to work?

4 Likes

Yeah, Louis CK says that, but you got to know that he weeps into his pillow sometimes.

3 Likes

Sure. He’s a comedian, so he’s probably a miserable SOB. But his bits on white privilege are pretty spot on, I think.

5 Likes

He’s speaking from experience as a white Mexican. White privilege in Mexico is like US white privilege on steroids. Also the anti-Mexican bigotry we have in the US only applies to the brown Mexicans.

3 Likes

Louis CK? I was pretty sure he’s Hungarian-American? I mean, his real name is Szekely… Or are you talking about something else?

I’m so confused.

1 Like
8 Likes

Ah! Thanks. I didn’t realize he used to live in Mexico as a kid. It seems like his family immigrated to Mexico from Eastern Europe (Jewish family). What an interesting life he’s had.

7 Likes

CK is a phonetic spelling of Székely, which is a fairly common Hungarian name that few in the US would realize is pronounced CK.

There was a fair amount of Jewish immigration to Latin America, especially once the US started to issue quotas. It doesn’t surprise me that he had a Hungarian Jewish ancestor who converted to Catholicism and married a mestiza woman. National origin is not nearly as clean as a lot of people think it is.

3 Likes

I know…

6 Likes