Why (or why not) to vote for Bernie Sanders

So, Alan Grayson?

3 Likes

Get ready for history a second time.

Either a female or person of Jewish ancestry will be the 45th President of the United States.

Both Hillary and Bernie are qualified, compared to the sexist, discriminatory, racist and voter suppression Republican Party, with it’s politically and socially flawed GOP presidential candidates.

The political star power that Dem’ s will bring to the campaign trail in the general election–able to have popular and high profile politicians campaign in combinations in multiple states (covering all 50 states) simultaneously can not be matched by the GOP.

Democrats working together, it is called a 50 State Strategy–first done by Howard Dean and President Obama–and now being mirrored by the Hillary Clinton campaign.

1 Like

Will you please fucking stop putting these two in the same sentence!

5 Likes

You posted:

“Will you please fucking stop putting these two in the same sentence!”

OK!

Hillary-Bernie 2016

2 Likes

Are you worried about the SCOTUS and other judiciary and political appointments if the Dems lose? (I worry.)

3 Likes

Given that it was guys like Lieberman who gave us the ACA, I don’t know what your point is.

Well, is started with the fact that Bernie has gone on record as being very much a fan of the Public Option and Single Payer, while Clinton is, if anything, more likely to cave to the large business interests than Obama was, so in a nutshell…

1. Single Payer and the Public Option were two very different things and while Single Payer was a near impossibility people who knew quite a bit about how these programs work believed the Public Option (starting with a small group of people) was a very viable option.
  2. Medicare is vastly superior to the other insurance companies effectiveness wise, with far lower overhead (despite having the people nobody wants), which makes sense as there is a difference between ‘here’s a million bucks to take care of people as best you can’ and 'here’s a million bucks and you can keep what you don’t spend.
  3. That forgoing the public option (even for a small group of people) and instead going forward with the ACA as a gift to the insurance industry largely eliminated our future ability to implement the public option
  4. I was working for the Medicaid side of the world at the time, and individuals who only have a few dozen peers nationwide when it comes to understanding of how Medicare, Medicaid, and other programs interact with private systems (including negations with MCOs and such) were absolutely furious that the Public Option was dropped and expressed those same sentiments.
  5. Said individuals had specific strategies in mind to take advantage of shared Medicaid/Medicare programs (dual eligibiles and such) that they were confident would enable a gradual expansion of Medicare into the entire Medicaid population, including groups associated with block grands (childless adults, etc.)
  6. Those plans now have no weight thanks to the implementation of the ACA and we’re trapped in a far more wasteful system. We can’t make the insurance companies compete with Medicare now.

Does that help?

2 Likes

Telling the truth about Hillary Clinton isn’t demonizing her. Her corporatist record and alignment with Wall Street crooks is her own undoing. Teaming up with scumbag SuperPACs who perform slimy, disingenuous proxy attacks against Bernie is her own choice. Conspiring with the DNC to rig the debate schedules was underhanded, scummy and her choice.

Hillary Clinton has no one but herself to blame for her untrustworthy reputation among progressives.

That said, I’ll likely vote for Hillary Clinton if she wins the nomination. As bad as she is, the Republicans are worse. Our country, our Earth can’t afford another Republican administration. Then again, if the DNC and corporate media rigs the primary election, I’ll also consider giving Bernie my write-in vote on my ballot in the unlikely event there’s enough evidence that he can win that way in the general.

Aside from lifting a finger to vote, I will not use up any more of my limited resources to support Hillary Clinton. She has the very willing support of Wall Street billionaires and the complicit corporate media they own – she doesn’t need grassroots people like me. And, let’s face it… she will throw us grassroots activists under the bus if she’s elected. She mostly represents the status quo and one only needs to listen to her own rhetoric and that of her operatives to know this.

9 Likes

No. I’m worried about my kids getting shipped off to another Oil War, if the Dems lose.

4 Likes

That too. And don’t forget recession and confiscation of home and retirement equity from working people by entitled rich kids.

1 Like

My take on this election cycle is that the Internet has failed. The Internet, supposed for many years to be a voicebox for those who have little means, has not become The Thing, where people go to get their information. It’s still a sideshow. TV networks carry the debates and as such, they control the message.

Until we get the real happenings happening ON THE NET, instead of on the TV networks, and therefore the CNN/FOX new cycle, grassroots is going to suffer and the real populist candidates will be forced to take a back seat. This year has been a lesson in media. The candidate who can take the net, such as the YouTube channel that I suggested months ago, is the one who will break the barrier to entry and reshape the game.

This game, as it is being played out again this time, is the same game that has been played before. There is nothing new to see here. Names have changed. Some grassroots stuff has started to sprout. But the overall form and shape of the election is no different than what has gone before.

We need an innovator, or a lucky duck. Someone who can do what George Takei has done on Facebook. Or what the gamers and funny people have done on YouTube. Takei has something like 10 million likes. Just for being witty, with-the-times, a bit dirty and vulgar, and basically awesome. The big YouTubers have a definite presence which, as annoying as they are to me to watch, are a lesson in commanding people’s attention. My kids are glued. I hate it. But these guys are effective on their medium.

Why can’t we have a candidate like that? Someone like that is going to be a real game changer. I was hoping Bernie would step up and say fuck all this rigged debate shit, I am establishing my own turf over here. Why don’t y’all come over here to YouTube/Reddit/TheBern.com or whatever and check me out over there, I will be speaking to you mainly over there. Then, it becomes his turf and people start to buzz about it on the other media. Instead, Bernie is stuck on Hillary’s turf, fighting the game from a weaker position than if he went out on a limb to create his own medium.

My $0.02. Same old election as ever. Nothing new yet.

2 Likes

Yes with the word “movement” before the word candidate It’s a shared, community-based task to remedy all the little and large injustices. We need to be able to communicate with each other about the best policies to enact … and elect local, state and national representatives to help

I hear ya, but I don’t elect a movement. I vote for a candidate. I plan to have a movement tomorrow morning after coffee. But I want to vote for a person.

1 Like

We crawl before we walk. Even the GOP fascists started with the school boards.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I appreciate the accurate summation of the issue more than the false edginess of blaming 'Bamz for everything.

2 Likes

Me to,

And we can be assured, that is exactly what will happen.

Thank you, @Kimmo - I’d never heard that talk before, and I enjoyed it … esp. the diagram of the group of “people who have github accounts” failing to intersect the group of “lawyers.”

It’s hard to persuade lawyers to understand open source, let alone work with open source coders to solve problems. My guess is that licensed professionals generally are not the early adopters.

I wonder if there could be more rapid intersection between the group of “people who have github accounts” and groups of “people working day-to-day on specific social justice projects.”

Or the “voters who want to democratically regulate the economy” group?

2 Likes

I have three words for you: Supreme Court nominations.

4 Likes

Great minds think alike!

4 Likes