Why (or why not) to vote for Bernie Sanders

With phrases like “artful smear” and “low blow” in the headlines, I note that Team Clinton has adopted tone policing as a deliberate part of its strategy.

3 Likes

Fake progressives policing the hell out of anyone who appears to disagree with them? Well, that’s unexpected.

4 Likes

I’m not what these old crows would call “young” anymore, but I’m very offended by their BS insistence that not voting for Clinton is somehow a betrayal of my womanhood. Fuck them. Imma gonna vote for Sanders so hard now. Like harder than I already was going to.

Steinem’s not the kind of feminist we need now or anytime in the last 30 years. She’s shouting at the clouds in protest of her own irrelevance.

9 Likes

Let’s ask your favourite comic book artist Rob Liefeld

1 Like

Bernie to get muscular and start wearing lots of thigh pouches?

Has anyone ever seen his feet?

6 Likes

“Unintentionally problematic” is a hell of a phrase. Doesn’t that mean she told us what she really thinks and it turns out that it was pretty problematic?

4 Likes

Irony!
http://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/hillary_temples2c.gif

I really have to know what Madeline Albright said. Not many people in Washington are of her stature (and having met her once, it surely is not about height).

googles it: “there is a special place in hell for women who do not help each other”.

OH. I can see where that might be seen as… yeah. Huh, well even people I admire say poorly thought through things in public occasionally.

Yup. I don’t think her or her camp know that feminism didn’t stop at wave 3.

She’s tone-deaf about how younger people talk about equality. It’s why she stumbles with the #BLM movement and it’s why she’s not running away with the votes of young women.

4 Likes

See, I’ve heard that quote before. But when you take it to the context of “There is a special place in hell for women who do not vote for Hilary Clinton because she is a woman” it gets a little stupid. If Fiorina had won the republican nomination, would Albright support her over Sanders? What if it was Ann Coulter running as the female candidate for president? Or the ghost of Ayn Rand? Unless I think extremely badly of Albright I can’t take the idea that she would support a woman over a man every time seriously, so her apparently putting it out there is really disappointing.

It’s the difference between someone who genuinely cares about equality like Sanders and someone who can be convinced to buy into equality for some when the tide turns that way. Clinton switched her position on gay marriage around the time opinion polls hit the 50% mark. I’m not even saying she cynically believes in equality based on opinion polls. Just that if there are 300M americans, then at some point there are 149,999,999 Americans who support equality and then one more mind changes. That mind was Clinton’s. Sanders was a straight man who supported gay rights in the 1970s, so I’d put him, what, four standard deviations out on equality? That’s the choice I see, a choice between very progressive and dead even. I mean, is Clinton even progressive on women’s rights? I was just reading about her history of abortion-rights advocacy and comparing it to Gallup polls and it’s a bit up in the air if she was.

14 Likes

I don’t think Clinton would be actively regressive on social issue like Republicans. I just don’t get the impression she cares much. Perhaps that’s a bit unfair, but Aa bit like Obama, she seems content to wait until the majority wants it (or Biden forced his hand), then supports it. Which is…okay. But it’s hardly leadership or principled, just seems a bit too calculating and prosaic. I think she likes the grand game of politics more than being in it to achieve anything in particular. I don’t like the idea that she thinks that her being elected would it in itself be a great achievement for the country. She seems to be running for herself, whereas Sanders seems to be running more because he has changes he wants to make to the country.

If she becomes President, she’ll be…okay. But she seems to be running on a slogan of ‘No We Can’t’. Perhaps she’s decided that setting low expectations is the secret of success.

4 Likes

Exactly That.

3 Likes

lately it sounds more like “Oh No You Didn’t

5 Likes

So when does the NH primary kick off?

4 Likes

I do kinda like this:

From, what? 27% to > 99% in 6-7 weeks? Even if the demographics of NH favour him, that’s a big swing.

(although you could argue that 538’s model back in Dec '15 was a load of old hooey)

9 Likes

This. I think she’s comfortably in a priveleged, powerful position – despite the flak she gets from certain quarters of politics for being a woman and for being a Democrat, but she’s obviously learned to deal with that competently. Her positions on social issues are merely politically expedient. This doesn’t make her “evil” and she’s still preferable to Republicans, but she’s just not going to stick her neck out very far.

I feel the same about all her positions really. Accepting money from Goldman Sachs, Saudi royalty, etc. is just what politicians do; by those standards it’s not “evil” but it’s part of the problem and she won’t ever see that. In most elections, Hilary would probably look like the good guy, because that’s what we’re used to.

I reread “Political failure modes and the beige dictatorship” recently and it really resonated.

Bernie is probably literally an SJW, and I mean that in the most positive, non-ironic way. The big thing that’s exciting about him is he’s not a part of the “beige dictatorship” and he could potentially break its grip… in fact even if he doesn’t win, if he continues to do well it’s probably going to shake things up a bit.

5 Likes

She doesn’t give two shits about issues that matter to meatbags. She’s for the corporations, of the corporations and by the corporations.

5 Likes

It’s pretty bad when a feminist hero goes on TV and says something so sexist and offensive that Bill Maher is visibly shocked.

7 Likes

That’s, like, meta-bad. Holy hell.

3 Likes