Why the Twilight series doesn’t deserve our hatred

The first F&F was sort of ok.
The rest would have infact deserved more loathing.

1 Like

I’d say watchable, except for Jar Jar of course, and the sand.
Oh the sand… so coarse… and it gets everywhere…

1 Like

I don’t she said anything about loving the series. She does consider Cinder and Ready Player One worse for different reasons, though.

1 Like

Why the Twilight series doesn’t deserve our hatred

Deserve? Maybe not but it still doesn’t change the reality that i hate it. So label it whatever you want, it is what it is.

Assuming we are not talking about the Roger Corman film, the first F&F was effectively a remake of Point Break.

2 Likes

… or forms the fundamental values of a religion.

Forget reading the series, this analysis will be far more worthy of any Happy Mutant’s time:

5 Likes

As far as i understand in the last book the hunky werewolf guy “imprints” on the main character’s baby and has a very strange fixation on it. Which is also… unsettling. Haven’t seen the last two movies nor read the books so what little i know is from videos making fun of the movies.

4 Likes

Star Wars was always terrible.

2 Likes

To be honest, I think the whole young adult fiction craze is the problem and not merely certain ‘bad’ franchises. The whole genre (can be really called that?) just seems like mediocre writing passed off as something amazing or revolutionary. Mind you, I’m not of the age that ever gotten into Harry Potter all that much. I did read Order of the Phoenix but wow that was a horrible slog. I don’t see how teenagers would be interested in this kind tripe. But like I said, I’m much older so what do I know?

4 Likes

I’ve read a few of YA novels but none of the big ones. The few that i did read i enjoyed the heck out of, i think top of my list is the Leviathan series as it does some seriously inventive world building

Also quite fond of Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman though i think that falls under Children’s Fantasy than YA. But whatever, still think its great.

As far as Harry Potter goes i haven’t read them but the setting just never really appealed to me. Might get around to reading it at some point i guess

3 Likes

That’s a big part of the video.

It’s pretty rare that YA books are good enough to be considered literature, but that makes a great deal of sense. Teenagers have fundamentally different motivations and experiences (and lack of experience) that make them a different audience from adults. Fahrenheit 451 isn’t going to resonate. Even The Hobbit is a pretty rough re-read in one’s 30s (or 40s or 50s, etc.) than it was as a teenager. It’s hard enough getting them to read in the first place. force-feeding them literature is just going to make that worse.

I would also say that there are adult novels and series that deserve WAY more scorn than Twilight. Everything by Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy, etc. have done more harm with racist paranoia and toxic masculinity than Twilight has done with sparkly vampires.

6 Likes

Hot take:
We hate teenagers, not of any particular gender.

Teenage girls tend to “like things”, like Boy Bands and Twilight. They use these interests for signaling.
Teenage boys are just annoying fuckers. We do mock their over-interest in video games and pro wrestling. We mock adults who enjoy these juvenile pursuits.

But, to be clear, Twilight wasn’t hated because it was shitty literature. It was hated because it tried to mix Christian moralizing with the “sexy vampire” motif. It didn’t work. You wound up with sexy virgin vampires. It was creepy and weird.

This quote is falsely attributed to Stephen King but bears repeating*:

“Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.”

My wife hate-read the books to find out what the deal was and this seemed to summarize it for both of us. I have come across other teen-girl-lit and gone meh-not-for-me but I didn’t hate it as much as I hated everything I heard about this book. Not that I actively hate it either, not having actually read it but it certainly doesn’t seem constructive.

Anyone care to tl;dw a 19 minute video into something that might dissuade me of this POV?

2 Likes

They cast him in the wrong movies.

5 Likes

Fun fact; the word ‘vampire’ is never once used in that entire film. Also it has three stars who were also main characters in Aliens.

Fuckin’ A; and even if that were not the case, the writing itself was still utterly atrocious.

That teen girls were queefing over it was the very least of my reasons for hating Twilight.

4 Likes

So I managed to make it through all the twilight books on audio because they were available at the library and I could find nothing else to listen to at the time. (Plus a somewhat OCD need to finish book series once started.)

I tried to watch the movies a couple of times. Was Bella as whiney as she was in the books? No, of course not. The problem with the movies is they were BORING AS HELL. (Unless you’re into looking at shirtless early 20’s men, which I’m not.) Don’t get me wrong, the movies were beautiful. Just really, really dull.

…and please. Sparkly vampires? I’m half convinced this was an attempt by young men to get out of the strip club glitter problem.

Our only backlash was that the book was set in our area, but there was a lot of artistic license, and not about there being vampires and the like. Meyer admitted she had never visited the area. It was sort of like Chabon’s Sitka in the ‘Yiddish Policeman’s Union’, based on a real place, but a figment of the imagination. For example, it’s not a half hour drive from Forks to Port Angeles. For example, Bella Italia - we know the owner - did not serve mushroom ravioli until after the book came out and then he just had to put it on the menu since so many people were asking for it. I think everyone was more bemused than anything. We were less amused when the Canadians who ran the unauthorized Twilight stores skipped town leaving a pile of tax and other bills.

1 Like

I would like to see this one.

Fixed that for you

1 Like