Why Trump's naked corruption is less interesting than conspiracy theories about Clinton

Do you, just don’t forget the downticket elections.These can matter much more than who gets stuck in the white house.

This is part of why I think her strategy to go hard for conservative right-wing voters on the presumption that there’s a lot of disaffected Trump supporters who don’t want him in office has some flaws. From where I’m sitting, it looks like the people who support Trump do it because he - in some twisted, fun-house-mirror way - can echo the concerns that they have, however racist and bonkers and naive. Trying to get those people on board with smart policy and America’s Dad Joke doesn’t seem like it would pay big dividends. (I could be under-estimating the people abandoning the Trump Ship, of course!) If she wants to shake his support, she should be taking more cues from Sanders and his ilk, less form Tim Kaine and his milquetoast pandering.

Meanwhile, Clinton supporters are a motley crew of people brought together to mostly hold their nose and pick the least offensive option. It shouldn’t be too hard - strategically - to get a lot of them to abandon her. Especially since, you know, she’s struggling to get her practical ideas heard over “Trump Bad!”

All this focus on how awful and racist and awful and also awful Trump is doesn’t look from my perspective to change the game in any meaningful way. If she wants to hit Trump’s base, she needs to sound like she gets it. That’s something she struggles with, though.

3 Likes