Why Violet Beauregarde should have succeeded Wonka

Interesting. I always assumed the book and film are set in America.

If only because America is the land where all things wondrous and strange come from (at least from a 60s UK perspective).

Your point still stands - clearly the Oompa Loompa’s immigration status is dodgy to say the least.

They also never struck me as being particularly interested in the product. They work in the factory because it’s better than being eaten by Hornswozzlers, Snozzwangers, etc. but they’re not passionate chocolatiers.

I could see setting up some sort of trust through which the Oompa Loompas get substantial ownership of the business with Charlie as trustee (hence the rather odd selection process, Wonka’s not looking for someone to run the business as a financial venture, he wants someone he can trust to look after the Oompa Loompa’s interests and pursue his idiosyncratic chocolate/candy related visions).

2 Likes

profits

2 Likes

He might need the money enough to be a useful rubber-stamp member of the board.

Nice feel good story of poor kid made good, not just another plutocrat with questionable optics; but could probably be kept in line when the leadership team you suggest starts implementing the sort of policies that they would inevitably leap to.

I think it is supposed to be ambiguous, with small details changed depending which country the book was published in.

The chocolate factory was based on the Cadbury’s factory at Bournville though.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.