Why Warhol painted soup cans

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/16/why-warhol-painted-soup-cans.html

4 Likes

like they say, inspiration is everywhere.

1 Like

Story is too long. Can someone condense it?

32 Likes

Warhol was told he should paint a Campbell’s soup can. Then he did.

ETA: Wait, were you making a condensed soup joke?

11 Likes

Primordial

21 Likes

I mean, if you want to put a label on it.

22 Likes

One of my cherished pieces of art is a Campbell’s soup print, inspired by Warhol but not one of his designs… I helped a local artist with getting some of his art scanned properly (metalic inks and matching color makes that harder than it sounds). He hand made a set of Campbell’s screen prints that are amazingly well done and gave me one as a thank you.

2 Likes

Apparently a lot of the prints sold as original Warhols were actually made by his assistants so that’s very much keeping in line with the spirit of his work.

5 Likes

That’s why it was called the Factory

5 Likes

Some years ago, Campbell’s rereleased the soup flavors that were shown in Wharhol’s “Soup Cans” that were no longer in production together as a promotion that I saw at a local store. Much to a former loves irritation, I decided that I was going to taste every single on the the flavors shown in his art including Scotch Broth, Tomato Rice, and the other discontinued, regional, or hard to find flavors. All the discontinued flavors were terrible. I swear the oily film that Scotch Broth left on my tongue is still there, decades later. And Cheese Soup, my gods- cheese soup is proof that Lovecraft’s horrors were real, and those that saw them and lived were driven insane.

I should not speak of this horror, but they still sell Scotch Broth in cases.
… I hear the drums, distant drums and chanting… Azathoth returns and the madness upon this world!

Note: I shall not provide links to buy the terrible soups, for fear that the darkness shall be made real upon their consumption. (/small>

8 Likes

Now I can’t… concentrate.

4 Likes

Wow that is some serious username / comment synergy.

7 Likes

To this day, I hope the people who’ve stood staring at the soup cans painting did so to see which soups escaped their shopping lists.

1 Like

Without a label it’s just a tin can.

1 Like

maybe just a condensed soup yoke but I am miss the puny

joan might have turned her nose up at it …she would have been clear

artist who struggled with originality had to pay someone else for a better idea.

(yes i got the condensed soup joke, kudos)

4 Likes

The problem with that can is that it is hard to get it Oparin.

2 Likes

When my siblings and I were kids, for some reason my mother took to serving us hot Campbell’s soup for breakfast on winter mornings [:thinking: hmm, possibly in response to a marketing ploy from Campbell’s?].

For some reason, Scotch Broth was the one she chose most often. Just imagine: it’s way-too-early in the morning and you’re barely awake, it’s cold and dark out and you have to go to school—but first you have to eat a bowl of delicious Campbell’s Scotch Broth soup :confounded:

3 Likes

And the school kept sending you home because of the alcohol on your breath until you convinced them it was mouthwash.

2 Likes