Why you don't park in front of a fire hydrant

You are uninformed.

Charging that hose under or over that car would either lift it or smash down the roof. Both worse than some shop vacing and two windows.

3 Likes

Well Steve Martin played a fireman in Roxanne.

4 Likes

DH lived in the 8th floor of a New York high rise. One night someone’s car alarm was going off… and going off… and going off, without anyone appearing to shut it down. DH saw a cinderblock go whistling past the apartment window from an upper floor, and smash directly into the car. The alarm shut off.

3 Likes

Good soundtrack too.

1 Like

I would’ve bought that person a case of beer.

1 Like

Well, besides the windows, I guess you’re not driving anywhere until they finish putting the fire out.

3 Likes

Might as well do some bbq while they wait

2 Likes

Sort of a dick move, and yet, an engaged structure fire doubles in size avery minute, so…

3 Likes

Same thing, apparently.

2 Likes

It’s a more direct route through the window. Over or under is hose length wasted.

(As I read further, others have said similar. Oh well. Worth repeating.)

6 Likes

Yes, parking in front of a fire hydrant is a dick move.

13 Likes

If you want some BMW schadenfreude, Here’s one I remember seeing on the local news a few years ago.

@ephoph
Wasn’t Backdraft set in Boston? Life imitates art. (see above)

@Tim_Carpenter

• They did not break the windshield. Side window are much easier to break out.
  • Stop off at a fire station some time and see just how thick woven fire hoses are. Resting on safety glass wouldn’t cause anything more than a minuscule abrasion, if anything at all.
4 Likes

I’m sorry you feel resigned to the poverty of belief on a topic where information is readily available.

This is a pretty good start:

Working with Large-Diameter Hose Part I [Fire Engineering]

Notice the radius limit on bends for this type of hose (supply/relay LDH, which is used for connecting to hydrants).

16 Likes

Um, no. the laundry list of exceptions where they absolutely will not pay out is quite long. For example, using your vehicle to commit a crime (and yes, parking in front of a hydrant IS a crime) is just about always present, that I’ve seen.

1 Like

Someone thinks the firefighters should take the time to feed the hose under or around the car? You know what? The hell with the assmonkey. A burning house and people in danger trump your entitled-ass-need to park right there, right now.

4 Likes

But parking in front of a fire hydrant is a misdemeanor, like speeding or following too close, or not yielding properly OTOH, this is NOT an accident, so if it was covered it would only be covered under the comprehensive part of the insurance, not liability. Insurance companies may very well be tighter than they are with liability.

3 Likes

And putting a fire hose through that car at an active fire, is not one.

1 Like

My father was a city firefighter for 30 years. They absolutely had zero sympathy for anyone parked in front of a hydrant. There’s a not-insubstantial amount of damage you can do to a vehicle and still not get slowed down fighting a fire.

11 Likes

4 Likes