Will this water trap stop a cunning cat from opening the door?

That looks like an ocelot.

3 Likes

maybe an ocicat

1 Like

2 Likes

The ADA and its resulting introduction of door leverlocks put many dog scientists out of work.

Farside%20Doorknob%20Principle

11 Likes

Had the water actually been centered on the knob, not the door itself, I would say “yes.”

8 Likes

My mom’s cat did this regularly, so I changed all her doorknobs to spherical ones.

Now, my cat…she’s clever. When I’m not giving her enough attention, she goes and pulls the plug of the computer cord out of the electrical socket.

13 Likes

So wait… cats umm… Nah, nevermind. I don’t want to know.

3 Likes

13 Likes

Me and my kid love Simon’s cat.

8 Likes

It’s a white-pawed tabby! They have the ability open any door, just because they’re pure of heart and truly believe in themselves!

I used to live in a house built in the twenties. My white-pawed tabby would slide a paw between the carpet and the door bottom, lift, and shoulder her way into the room in one smooth, noiseless motion. She didn’t even break stride. She skipped the doorknob step entirely. I tried to adjust the latch and catch, but there was just too much play between the door and the jamb. On the other hand, she could also do it to the (interior) French doors, and they had no play bewteen them when they were closed.

4 Likes

Pretty sure it’s a Bengal. Very smart, very athletic, very large cats.

As for the original cat, seems like centering the water on the handle instead of the door might’ve worked.

2 Likes

I forgot about those. I’ve always kind of wanted one but I’ve never had enough room and I only adopt rescues. Bengal rescue would be quite rare.

1 Like
12 Likes

That’s my best trick too.

4 Likes

This is an impressive cat.

My cat was smart, but also lazy. A row of matchsticks would present a level of difficulty he’d shrink from. Because naps.

4 Likes

He’s a F1 Savannah (male parent was a serval, female parent a domestic cat). A “rescue” - he did not play gently with his previous owner’s grandbabies (even if they tried), so we gave him a home with no kids.

If you really want a Bengal, there are dedicated breed rescues. Get on their mailing lists or group pages on Facebook.

2 Likes

My family had a black cat when I was growing up, who wasn’t fazed by the lever-type doorknob in the family room. If it was possible for her to get somewhere in the house, she could get there; more than once she was walking around on the ceiling beams in the family room, or on top of the kitchen cupboards.

4 Likes

He’s a beautiful cat. I’m glad he found a home suited to his needs.
I hadn’t thought of the breed specific rescues. I migot do that when I have a bigger place.

1 Like

I for one welcome our new feline overlords.

3 Likes

I lived with a cat once who would jump from the top of the refrigerator onto the wood trim above the kitchen doorway, and then pace back and forth above the doorway. Said trim was about 1-1/2 inch wide. Watching her turn around on it was fascinating.

4 Likes