Willie Nelson's new hemp coffee

Another classic, but it’s simply not possible to confuse Sophia Loren and Doris Day.

2 Likes

No - I’m not sure it was either of them. Debbie Reynolds? Any Rock Hudson/Cary Grant substitute? I just vividly remember how the male lead (a doctor?) tells her not to drink when taking the pills and encounters her at party where she does just that. Or the doctor may have been a secondary character and explains it to the male lead at the party, after she slumps. Plus someone like Tony Randall as the secondary character.
Or it might all have happened in a previous existence, but I’m pretty sure not! :wink:

An Upper + A Downer
=
Smooth sailing.

jk

2 Likes

=
choppy waters!

1 Like

Nah…it’s a leveling experience! Haha

1 Like

that was my first thought, too: jeez, careful mixing your uppers and downers, Judy.

That’s one damn good lookin’ 80+ year old right there. What’s his secret?!

Oh, yeah.

3 Likes

Ha, ha! That’s a given. Also, Houseboat does seem to be quite politically correct for that time. I was not sure if both Cary Grant and Doris Day have to be in the film. But maybe it’s ‘Bringing Up Baby’ that does contain some comedy for grown ups. House Boat has children in it.

But it is with Katherine Hepburn - an actress I truly adore for her wit. The movie is one of my all time favorites.

1 Like

Speaking of Willie, here’s his two new songs… one from Red Dead Redemption 2, and one about how much he hates Trump.

1 Like

A, if not the benchmark for classic screwball comedies.

Bringing%20up%20Baby__Grant__not%20myself

1 Like

Also a benchmark for being the first movie to use “gay” to mean “homosexual”!

2 Likes

Ha, you are the one spamming my email with CBD gummy ads aren’t you…

There has to be someone in here that has already tried this combination and can tell those of us with an less than positive initial reaction to the concept if it works well.

Well, there are three “romantic comedies” in which Day, Hudson and Randall starred together:
Pillow Talk (1959)
Lover Come Back (1961)
and Send Me No Flowers (1964).

(Yes, I know - it feels like there should be at least half a dozen of them, but there you are.)

Lover Come Back fits your recollection best, given that you are sure it was Doris Day and you aren’t confusing Rock Hudson with David Niven, James Garner, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Jack Lemmon or Rod Taylor (never mind, the plots don’t really match).

One slight possibility would be Caprice (1967) in which Richard Harris uses a truth serum on the Doris Day character.

Tangent: Tony Randall did make a film with Debbie Reynolds, The Mating Game (1959), playing an IRS man.

Fun fact: Doris Day also made a film with Ronald Reagan (sans Bonzo), The Winning Team (1952).

or:
You confused Rock Hudson with Richard Widmark and Tony Randall with Gig Young and mean

which has two cocktails followed by a tranquilizer as a pivotal plot point.

2 Likes

That sounds good. I’ll try to explore/validate later/tomorrow.

68dedfee8a006fc419e1773d7130d7df

1 Like

There is really only one movie in my opinion that comes relatively close to this gem. It is not related by a far shot to the plot, if at all then to ‘Arsenic and Old Lace’. It is a French masterpiece with Louis de Funés:

There are few movies that keep one from going to the bathroom. This is one of them. And how wonderful it would be to utilize some of Willie Nelson’s ‘Reserve’.

2 Likes

louis_de_funes_01

2 Likes

Yup, good stuff!
Although my favourite LdF is probably

2 Likes

Had a quick read of the plot summary and this does not sound like it, either. Plus it looks like a B&W film and my memory is of a colour film. Sigh. I predicted rabbit-hole. :wink:

1 Like

I’m seeing more and more CBD-infused energy drinks and bottled coffee drinks at the store, so it’s not unique to Willie.

Sorry about that!!