Windows 10 previewed

You get the start menu back.

Am I the only person in the world that didn’t have a problem with this? I never used it to begin with, so it was nice to clear off some cruft. Perhaps its that I became addicted to Quicksilver on OS X in college, but I generally just hit the win-key and typed the first 2 letters of my program, then mashed enter. Though, thanks to Windows 8 search being “smarter” it takes too long to do this now.

All I want is a unified “alt-tab”… It is really annoyingly inconsistent to have two “open app” menus, in different places, with different content, and accessed in different ways… Not that I use “metro” apps ever…

1 Like

Or Gnome 3… Ugh… I remember when Win 8 was announced and Gnome 3 and Unity were rolled out, it was a horrible day for people who wanted their desktops to be desktops, and their phones to be phones.

1 Like

Grub is not the problem it’s UEFI and GPT partitions that are my concern. All I need Windows for is to update my Garmin, maybe I’ll just get a copy of W7 and be done with it.

Windows 8.1 is actually very fast and usable once you learn how to make it act like any other operating system!

FTFY

1 Like

This.

I usually have to deal with Windows in both English and Spanish, just trying to select every item in a directory can be an experience in frustration as my brain has to make the mental switch from CTRL+A to CTRL+E.
At least it makes sense in English, A for all, but E? why change it to E? it doesn’t even mean anything in Spanish! And don’t get me started on MS Office shortcuts, they make even less sense.

haha…i meant boots, and executes applications and tasks much more quickly then its predecessors, but i agree with your larger point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Control Everything?

1 Like

The decision to jump up to Mac OS 8 instead of releasing it as Mac OS 7.7 was also a marketing decision.

It is notable that both Windows 7 and Windows 8 (and 8.1) report a major kernel version of 6, much like Vista. Judging from the sounds of things, they’re unlikely to bump it up for Windows 10.

So, “Windows 9” and “Travelling Wilburys, Vol II” will be equally hard to find…

1 Like

That may well be what I was thinking about. My first mac came with OS 8.1 I think.

Film----------------------------------Release date

1. Hellraiser-------------------------September 18, 1987
  2. Hellbound: Hellraiser II-------December 23, 1988
  3. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth–September 11, 1992
  4. Hellraiser: Bloodline-----------March 8, 1996
  5. Hellraiser: Inferno--------------October 3, 2000
  6. Hellraiser: Hellseeker---------October 15, 2002
  7. Hellraiser: Deader--------------June 7, 2005
  8. Hellraiser: Hellworld-----------September 6, 2005
  9. Hellraiser: Revelations--------March 18, 2011
  10. Windows10---------------------COMING SOON!

1 Like

Hello,

I am not a fan of the UI, either, but, as I previously noted, people tend to focus on the eye candy. And that’s what a graphic user interface is: eye candy. I don’t use a computer with a touch screen as my main device, so when Windows 8.1 starts for me, it boots into the Desktop, not the Start Screen.

The issue with the Alt+F4 keychord opening the options for your display driver has probably less to do with Windows 8.[0-1] than it does with your computer manufacturer’s desire to “replace the functionality in the F-keys that nobody uses” with options “that everybody loves.” On the subnotebook next to me, the top row of the keyboard is labeled thusly:

| Esc | F1 | F2 | F3 | F4 | F5 | F6 | F7 | F8 | F9 | F10 | F11 | F12 | Home | End | Del |

However, by default, that top row of keys is mapped by the manufacturer as follows:

| Vol Mute | Vol - | Vol + | Mic Mute | Sleep | WiFi Settings | Cam/Aud Settings | (no idea) | Bright - | Bright + | Media Back | Media Play/Pause | Media Fwd | Home | End | Del |

I was able to change these back to their normal, correct behavior by use of the Fn key in combination with some other to “lock” the F-key behavior in place, and chances are, you’re able to do the same thing on your brand and model of computer (or it may be available as an option in the BIOS/UEFI firmware). Try visiting your favorite search engine and looking for “brand + model + function key lock” and perhaps you’ll find useful information on how to fix that.

1 Like

Cheers for that. It’s not mine, it belongs to the guy I work for (I do support for special needs patients), so I’m gonna not mess with it. It’s a Toshiba Satellite, which is a shadow of what they once were. Horrid, gimcrack device.

1 Like

Sounds like the Asus laptop (running Win8) that we got. (Well, and the minor fact that an Asus is much cheaper, probably in more than one sense of that word.) Disk usage always sits right at 100%.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.