Winner of the creepiest Covid-19 tweet goes to this gentleman

Sounds reasonable.

4 Likes

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge , “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population .”

11 Likes

I have no doubt that he regularly recommends (or, when he’s in a position of power, demands) that people read Atlas Shrugged. It’s the holy writ of sociopaths.

11 Likes

I’m intrigued by who defines, “expensive to maintain,” and “not productive.” What’s the current president cost us just in security for golf trips? How about industrialists who continue to pollute the the planet for personal profit regardless of the costs we as a society will have to pay for as global warming accelerates? The president and many other wealthy people seems expensive to maintain.
And how does one define productive? I don’t find Mr. McMillan’s contribution very productive regarding the current situation the world finds itself in. Most celebrates ultimately aren’t “productive” in my view of the world and our progress as a species. Do I get to choose if they all can die?
Scott A. McMillan is just a shell of a man with neither empathy or compassion, and I hope he dies alone and in fear.

16 Likes

The US economy would take an additional massive hit if a sizeable percentage of the “overpaid” experienced people die as a result of the pandemic. Every industry has a huge shortfall of experienced workers, tradespeople and consultants below the age of 60 years. I’m running into so-called professional ‘project managers’ in the 30-45 age bracket that I’m having to train on the basics of project management - and I’m not a trained project mgr., just an experienced security consultant. I haven’t marketed my services in over 2 years and can’t keep up with the demand.

18 Likes

Economic Shutdown Is Estimated to Save 600,000 American Lives

I’m not an economist, but I believe it’s generally accepted in that field that capitalism has a bit of a problem with negative externalities. Now we’ve got the issue of counterfactual outcomes - how does the market value all those lives that aren’t lost when determining which actions to take, hmmm… maybe that’s why there’s somethings called ethics and trusted experts!?

14 Likes

14 Likes

It will never be the explicit policy, but it sure is turning out to be the one being implemented.

At this point, when I hear about a celebrity testing positive, my only thought is “How did they find a test?”
What I need to do is find out if this guy is accepting new patients…
.jpg

8 Likes

Right now any country that wants to destabilize United States would get most bang for the buck by promoting that position, for example by Facebook, Youtube and Twitter misinformation. With enough effort they may be able to get that to be official position of the right and it could lead not only to untold amount of misery, but also end the US as an world power. Obviously such country would take extreme measures to prevent virus spread on it’s own territory.

15 Likes

Is My President just going to sit there and let him talk shit about his Senate-sockpuppets like that? That’s Trumps job.

1 Like

Looking at his profile he’s about 50. Per this article which is quoting the CDC, people aged 45-54 have been hospitalized at a rate of 21.1%, 4.7% have ended up in the ICU and 0.5% have died.

So given the current there’s a roughly 1 in 20 chance that he himself ends up in the ICU. If we flood the hospitals with patients, of course, the death rate is also likely to go up. …

The Imperial College paper published a few days ago made the observation that once the ICU is full everyone who needs an ICU will die. In addition, anyone who needs an ICU for non-coronavirus reasons will also die. With an unmitigated outbreak - as suggested - the number of people needing an ICU swamps the available beds so much that the Imperial College considered the existence of an ICU to be a rounding error that could be ignored for modelling purposes.

So the death rate of people 45-55 will be about 5%.

14 Likes

Yup, not only is this “Let the old people die for economy’s sake” thing morally monstrous, it’s also pants-on-head stupid and counterproductive if you care at all about the economy. But as usual, this kind of “hard men making hard decisions while hard” stuff is self-destructive and ideologically and emotionally motivated, not based on rational thinking and calculations. (See also: American insistence of people having to work while sick, instead of offering them paid sick leave; and the general opposition to universal health care.)

18 Likes

So he doesn’t mind folk dying, but he doesn’t want that to reflect badly on his social media profile?

We can but hope

Well, you know what, @RandomDude

4 Likes

Everybody, absolutely everybody that makes this type of comment is convinced that the shit tide will not reach them, when they speak of “sacrifices” is you, never them. They think it is possible to ride any problem. Life is cheap when is not theirs

Completely unrelated but similar though process, all the brexiteers I spoke with understand now that leaving the european union is not a good idea and the economy is going to suffer and there will be a thousand changes to the UK society, the huge majority negative in some form or other. But absolutely all of them are convinced that somehow they will not be affected.

22 Likes

This is the Trolley Problem and at times like this it is vital to remember that the most important thing of all is to save the trolley.

32 Likes

Stay a pitchfork’s length apart.

6 Likes

Republicans circa 2010: “If Obamacare passes, we’ll have death panels to decide whether to pull the plug on grandma!”

Republicans circa 2020: “For the good of the economy, it’s time to form death panels to decide whether to pull the plug on grandma.”

35 Likes

I take it he’s volunteering to be among the 2.5% that need to die?

8 Likes

All of my grandparents are already dead so will I be OK?

2 Likes