Wisconsin's Penzey Spices spent $92,000 on Facebook #Impeachment ads in just one week

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/11/wisconsins-penzey-spices-spe.html

Spice-seller was second only to Trump in spending on impeachment ads

8 Likes

As a resident of Wisconsin, you wrote “Wauwatosa, MN” instead of Wauwatosa, WI :smiley:

18 Likes

Penzey’s wears their heart on their sleeve and their India Extra Special Bold Telicherry Black Peppercorns in a bag!

Obligatory:

36 Likes

“I think the luxury of not being on a side is something of the past,” he said. “You lose some customers, you gain more customers. I think we’ve gained a lot more than we’ve lost.”

Something more American companies need to internalise. Not to mention the “moderate centrist” Dem establishment.

22 Likes

So, my money spent on their spices all these years has not been a philosophical waste! :slightly_smiling_face:

23 Likes

Funny, I already use Penzeys as my preferred source for spices (might I recommend their Singapore mix on grilled chicken?). I remember them being very vocal and proactive about their political leanings back in 2016 (?).

Can’t say this displeases me.

7 Likes

Especially the moderate centrists.

True, typical mini-drama at my parent’s place whenever I visit:

He (moderate centrist/news-junkie): [watches ALL news channels… including FOX]
She (HARD-left liberal): [catches him watching FOX]: “I told you, I don’t want that junk in my house!!”
He: [without batting an eye, switches to the next news channel]

9 Likes

Fixed. Thanks!

9 Likes

best part - trump gets to blow campaign money defending his ass

5 Likes

so my takeaway is that i need to buy some more Penzy’s to help them continue to buy ads.

14 Likes

Hmmm… gots ta get me some pepper, paprika, mustard…

3 Likes

… which is double-plus good!

My fav is their Za’atar. Sprinkled on toasted crusty bread with olive oil driveled on. Heaven!

8 Likes

But they don’t sell asafoetida. :unamused:

1 Like

It comes from fennel…

Could fennel seed be a reasonable substitute. Yes, I know. Not with a name like asafetida.

3 Likes

What’s with that gurgling prolapse McConnell spending money on the subject? What possible difference does it make to him?

Honestly, I generally don’t need to order spices online. My relatively diverse area of So. Cal. has enough little ethnic groceries that I can pretty much get whatever I want locally.

That being said, I placed an order with Penzey Spices today. Had to get the “justice” mix as well as a few other things to support their good work.

5 Likes

i followed them on Facebook ages ago, though I get my spices locally (chicago) from a place called The Spice House. Someone else mentioned Penzey’s “Singapore” blend…I got a blend with this name from The Spice House. I looked and the owner of The Spice House is Penzey’s sister and brother in law. Except they’re staunchly “apolitical”. Or they say, but they were reaching out to conservative blogs to pull in business with discount codes :frowning: which makes me sad. Patty was a client for a while and was a delight and very generous, but she & her husband sold the business in 2018. Getting my spices from Penzey’s from now on!

5 Likes

Fennel and asafoetida are used in different ways. Asafoetida imparts a onion/shallot flavor to a dish. I really don’t like the smell of it before it’s cooked, but the final product totally makes it worthwhile.

5 Likes

Here’s to hoping he spends the rest of his cash blowing it out his ass!

1 Like

Not sure where you’re located precisely, but there is an outlet in the 1700 block of University in San Diego.

5 Likes