With enough mayonnaise, isn't everything edible?

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

Edited to add this lnk - do not click if you are hungry.

2 Likes

This is super popular in the South but I cannot find it in New York to save my life. It’s surprisingly good comfort food. Sometimes I get a craving.

Pimento Cheese

3 Likes

The only good mayo is fresh homemade mayo. The rest is just food lube.

1 Like

Roasted Nuts with Mayonnaise Wasabi

3lbs nuts
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons wasabi powder
3 teaspoons water

1. In a small bowl, mix wasabi powder and water to form a paste. Let sit for 1 minute, then add mayonnaise.

2. Preheat oven and spread nuts on trays. Preheat oven to 350F. Spread the nuts in an even layer on the baking sheet. I often use a cake tin for smaller amounts as the higher sides allow me to shake the the pan to evenly distribute them.

3. Coat with wasabi mayonnaise - toss nuts to coat evently.

4. Roast in oven. Place in oven and roast for 5 minutes.

5. Stir. Remove after 5 minutes and stir so that the outer nuts are moved towards the middle and the middle nuts towards the edges. If you are using a cake tin, you can gently shake it to redistribute the nuts. Return to the oven.

6. Check for doneness. Check the nuts again after 3 minutes. You are looking for the color to not change significantly. They should start to smell like a lightning bolt and you might hear them crackling. Return to the oven if needed and check again after another 3 minutes. If they need longer, give another stir. Nuts rarely take longer than 15 minutes to roast, usually closer to 8 to 12 minutes.

7. Remove from the oven and cool. Do not cool the nuts on the tray they were baked on or you will risk oxidizing them.

5 Likes

You say “food lube” like that’s a bad thing.

1 Like

Heinz… Maypnaise

4 Likes

Not mayo, but fifty gallons of sky sauce for a buck, or 20 metric tons of tomato sauce for $800.

2 Likes

I once worked in sandwich shop called Togo’s which was actually pretty good, fresh made and clean in the back. Do they still exist? Anyway, there was this one customer who would come in at least once a week and he wanted so much mayonnaise on his egg salad sandwich that it was unreal. I made the egg salad many mornings, and it was good stuff, until it was drowned in lubricant.

“Nope, I want more mayo. A lot more. Way more. Even more. I want my food to slide down my froat*”

*throat, but pronounced with a F. I don’t know why, but it always annoyed me, hidden behind my service-worker smile.

I was never a huge fan of mayo, though my mom’s was good. After that experience 20 years ago now, it IS bad, at least for me. To each their own, but I hope I never have to make another sandwich whose primary purpose is to slide down anyone’s anything. Ugh.

— edited for spelling

5 Likes

You might like this song (it’s about vegemite, but mentions marmite).

“I can not hold a man so close/who spreads that cancer on his toast…”

I’ve never had either, so I don’t know if I agree or not.

It’s delicious!!

(Giggle)

Go get some right now! Seriously, its like a lighter, sweeter Nutella!!

(Snickers)

You won’t regret it!

1 Like

Oh no, you can’t trick me… I heard the Amanda Palmer song… :wink:

2 Likes

Togo’s still exists, but I haven’t eaten there since the early 90s. I didn’t care much for the shredded iceberg on their sammiches.

I can’t imagine ordering enough mayo for a sammich to be “lubed”. Wouldn’t a few squirts of olive oil (or the sammich store equivalent) be a better lubricant than mayo?

2 Likes

Not even going to subject myself to what comes up when I Google “sandwich lube.”

4 Likes

I like teh stuff, but any time I eye it at the store my wife slaps my hand.

While we are tangenting to other disgusting food…

Vita Lunch Herring and Sandwich spread? Eh!? Any takers?

It’s got mayo *in the spread!!"

I have never, ever been able to corroborate this, but I have a long, old friend that claims a special sandwich was a specially in the small towns around Muncie Indiana.

They are called either Hoosier Whizzes or Hoosier Whizzers.

Take two slices of this:

Cover one side with this:

The other with these:

Slap them together, microwave for 15 seconds, and in the precise words of this friend… Shove them in your yapper.

He also claims they were a favorite snack of Dan Quayle.

2 Likes

I… I have this jello mold (and the lobster that goes with it). Mayo jello is a bit too much for even me though.

3 Likes

I’m so happy right now!!! So, so happy!!

@othermichael may propose to dress the taj mahal, but these are real

2 Likes

Mayo, jello… And A1 sauce. Served… As a fish.

1 Like

Oh yeah, Wisconsin mayo salad :smile:

7 Likes

I’d take the herring as long as you keep the other two abominations away from my mouth. But to be honest, I’d rather have them kippered.