With security cam, guy catches housecleaner committing identity theft

God forbid people pay their bills in a capitalist society.

So youā€™re saying the people who run bb make money from it? Well Iā€™ll be . . . who knew?!!!

2 Likes

Blink camera just shipped. Local storage. Standalone. Kickstarter. Weā€™ll see.
I think Samsung makes a Nest clone, too.

(I am agreeing with you) There was a time when we were all young, and idealisticā€“I guess I just have different ideas about how to make the world a better place than moaning about advertising. A problem? Yes. Current place on the list? About 9000.

1 Like

You rang?

1 Like

But she specifically asked for alternativesā€¦ If she was pushing Nest, donā€™t you think sheā€™d have left that part out?

1 Like

The video says " sign in to view video ". Sign in how? I signed into BB but thereā€™s no video in the ā€œShow Postā€ post. Markā€™s page does not have the video listed. Is it my browser? Do I have to sign into youtube? Why post videos that you need to sign into on a public web page? Iā€™d like to watch the thief but guess I am too stupid to figure out how.

D-Link has some decent (low-to-mid-range) cams that can be wifi or cat5 connected, have IR functionality, a web-based a management suite, and multiple storage options.

http://us.dlink.com/home-solutions/

I used ā€œThe Classicā€ with IR function as baby monitor two years ago and was satisfied (the baby never stole or identities, just our sanity). The quality and resolution has only improved on the newer stuff they offer.

To me, that seems like the worst part of the problem. I have no issues with paid-for advertorial, if thatā€™s what keep the doors open and the boingboing team producing interesting content.

This, however, feels like an attempt to pass off Amazon referral links (donā€™t forget, once you click a link the bb team gets a referral on any purchase you make in the next 24 hours, regardless of whether you buy the item in question or not) as legitimate journalism, which I find much more troubling.

This, however, feels like an attempt to pass off Amazon referral links

Based on what exactly? Just the fact that they included an Amazon referral code is far from proof that this whole thing is paid product placement. In fact itā€™s the best kind of monetizing content: theyā€™re showing something thatā€™s obviously newsworthy to the boingboing audience, and if thatā€™s going to result in the purchase of a camera or two they might as well get paid for it.

I agree that if the news was created in order to sell cameras that that sucks, but thereā€™s really no proof of that at all, and as a longtime reader Iā€™d be super super surprised if that was the case.

I hope youā€™re right and Iā€™m just being cantankerous.

There have, however, been a few notable examples recently of articles that were clearly written as sales pitches but which have had no attribution to distinguish them from the rest of the content on the site. In at least one of those instances the product was utterly panned as being shoddy junk in the comments, and this sort of brand dilution makes me trust the other articles less. If I were the manufacturer of a home security system, this is exactly how I would advertise itā€¦

I like bb a lot and itā€™s one of very few sites I read on a regular basis. As I said, I get that bills have to be paid, I just feel like there are probably alternative revenue sources that donā€™t directly undermine the relationship the bb writers have with their audience.

1 Like

No telling what those pesky evil cats are up to and better to just not know. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.