With Trump out, QAnon influencers are desperate to keep their grift going

In his press conference, George Soros will say these exact words: “And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn’t been for these nosy kids and their annoying Q.”

So it was prophesized and so it shall be.

13 Likes

Don’t be so sure.

As the shock of Biden’s inauguration wore off on Wednesday, QAnon forum posters encouraged one another to “hold the line,” claiming that they had merely misunderstood the QAnon clues.

7 Likes

I do, because

Yeah, there were all sorts of Q predictions that never happened, but the fact they absolutely nothing that he predicted came to pass was fine because there was always the chance that, while Trump was in office, they still could, right up until the last second (there were various stories about how Biden would be arrested during his inauguration*). But once Trump left, that was it, there was no more room for it to still happen.

So while many, possibly even most, Qanon fuckwits still won’t accept reality, a few will, now. (Or at least some portions of reality.) It helps that Ron Watkins (who apparently was “Q”) stopped sending messages a short while ago and then posted a note today along the lines of, “We had some fun, but now it’s time to do something else.” Also his father, who runs 8kun, is apparently now allowing moderators to delete Q-related boards. It’ll be harder to keep up Qanon when the people behind it have given up on it. There’s going to be a lot of feelings of betrayal - because the true believers were pretty clearly betrayed.

*I even saw a “Face/Off” style scenario where Trump was going to have Biden’s face surgically replacing his own, so “Biden” would actually be Trump secretly having a second term. I assume it was a joke, largely because Trump is so fat compared to Biden so obviously a mere face transplant wouldn’t do the trick, but who knows…

15 Likes

You’re all wrong

3 Likes

Two words that do not belong any where near each other.

They believe Hillary kills children in the basement of a pizza parlor that doesn’t have a basement. I think belief in a “Face/Off” scenario is easily accomplished.

17 Likes

Come to think of it, a lot of the stuff that Q cultists believe as gospel probably did start out as a joke that just got folded into the narrative without anyone noticing or caring.

11 Likes

In a system of extreme belief large (and multiple) failures like this. Particularly failed predictions, or large scale exposures. Tend to drive off the bulk of believers. Particularly when something big, definitional and central turns out not be true or not to happen.

So most people will be giving up on Q.

Unfortunately the other thing that tends to happen is it only increases the dedication and belief of the most fervent core of the group. Leaving a smaller, but much more extreme and persistent group in it’s wake.

So what’s most likely about to happen is this movement gets a lot smaller, and a lot less mainstream. But it gets a lot more dangerous.

12 Likes

Christianity=Waiting for Godot, the extended version

7 Likes

The whole “The Storm” concept comes from this TV ad for a stuffed animal

This came out before Trump said the words “calm before the storm,” which was before the first “Q drop”

QAnon is based on a bunch of recycled bullshit from Infowars, and a toy commercial

19 Likes

I will never understand why that bear exists.

6 Likes

TRUST THE PLAN

5 Likes

QAnoners are all about the right to bear arms, you see. The bear has arms! What else are the bears not telling us?

6 Likes

But, but…

51tVFNEFlBL.SY780

Are you trying to suggest that the most masculine president ever couldn’t rappell? Have we all been misled? Trump didn’t really lead Seal Team 6 and Delta Force into Mogadishu in a super secret mission to recover the Holy Grail from Saddam Hussein after Hilary Clinton sold it to him in return for Saddam fixing her emails??

5 Likes

I’m not a physicist or anything, but just by eyeballing Trump and watching a video of what rappelling entails, I’m gonna have to say, “Yes.”

10 Likes

Unbelievably, research suggests that’s not the case. When you have a well, cult, where the leader makes clear and falsifiable predictions that are at the heart of the belief - that then don’t come true - the group loses some members, but most people still stick with it.

See: When Prophecy Fails - Wikipedia

There’s the issue that doomsday dates can always be moved into the future and the window for Q’s predictions to come true has closed with the end of the Trump administration, but I suspect that will be more likely to mutate Qanon beliefs than cause its collapse. The loss of “Q” is potentially a bigger blow, but it depends how it’s perceived - it may just mean it becomes more decentralized (i.e. more a religion than a cult).

Yeah, something being a joke/clearly nonsensical doesn’t mean it doesn’t fit into Qanon mythology somewhere. And since there’s no orthodoxy, different people believe different parts of it. So there’s all sorts of things I’ve read about relative to Qanon (e.g. a narrative about cloned duplicates of various political figures that are doing something or other), and I’m not sure whether they’re jokes about Qanon or actual Qanon beliefs - that may also be jokes. (Then there’s the whole hoax/irony element to the right-wing culture right now. Starting a hoax to make “the libs” believe something, only for right-wingers to be the ones that buy into it/make it true.) It’s just impossible to know what’s real (to them) anymore.

14 Likes

I don’t think Philippines pig farmers deserve being dragged into this.

Or is this part of the actual nonsense. I admittedly cannot tell reality and parody apart here.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s referring to the owners of 8kun.

9 Likes

“No Man, No Woman, No Commie Can Stump Him.”

Ah yes, the three genders. At least they covered their bases after that horrible embarrassment with the Witch King…

8 Likes

Ooooh. OK. Thanks!

1 Like
2 Likes