Woman accidentally kills self with gun bought for Ferguson unrest

The CA hunting license training/exam isn’t very difficult, but it is fairly exhaustive (there are even sections on how to use flintlocks and percussion caps.) A hell of a lot more exhaustive than the driver’s license test for sure. Anyone who brings up hunting as one of their rationales for needing gun rights shouldn’t have a problem extending that test to all long gun buyers — maybe minus the hunting-specific stuff like where to aim on a deer and what calibers you’re allowed to use on what type of game and what’s in season when.

You’re right, a gun accident might hurt someone besides the person holding the gun. I don’t think they break down the statistics that way (if you find stats that do, please forward them to me).

But even assuming that all ~800 accidental deaths per year were from someone killing someone other than themselves, that is still a pretty unlikely event. And it still shows that over your life time you are much more likely to die from a fall or drowning or poisoning (including when you are old and frail) than you are from someone mishandling firearm.

So yes, Mister Math would like to bring some perspective to the reality of the dangers.

1 Like

As someone who doesn’t know much about guns, why is this the case… not snarking, I’m curious why it was designed this way?

This will never not cheer me up!

2 Likes

In my experience, from spending hundreds possibly thousands of hours at gun ranges, enough that I have every reason to believe this story is true.

The most common idiot maneuver is to pick up the loaded weapon, turn it sideways, pointing it directly at the shooter next to them, in order to “inspect” the weapon before firing.

I had the displeasure of witnessing a person point a gun, at an instructor’s head, just after being told to only point guns at things you intend to shoot.

The stupidity of humans knows no bounds.

1 Like

This thread is shockingly missing the point. The article doesn’t describe the victim’s race, yet racism is what ultimately lead to her tragic (and foolish) death. Citizens buying guns out of a racist fear of violence from the citizens protesting out of fear of racist police violence. This all leads to misery for everyone. And still no justice.

We all tell ourselves “I wouldn’t fire 10 rounds at something with my hairstyle;” and then most of us go for a different hair treatment and a coif we’d wish for patience to sit for.

Could be either. If your 'hood goes up in flames, it does not matter what color you are at that moment. You are in position of being at risk.

That said, getting a gun should be preceded with having some idea about how it works. If you like (or not-fear) guns enough to consider one Sometime In The Future When The Situation May Demand It, the right time to read the theory is Now. Couple hundreds (or at least few dozens) rounds on a range never hurts too; you can try out different calibers and models to find what fits you, and it’s fun enough to warrant it as a recreation day. Brush up the knowledge/skills at least every few years.

Or we lose hair, and then a skinhead gang moves in…

The United States of America, in microcosm.

The proper position is racecar. Because racecar and airbags.

4 Likes

I prefer this Brody knob placement.

That Volvo steering wheel makes me wince. I have a purple 960 wagon in the driveway I’ve been meaning to sell for over a year.

3 Likes

This is one reason why the only firearm I own is a revolver.

This is the other reason. Although it’s not a Mateba Model 6 Unica. Those are UNBELIEVABLY EXPENSIVE.

1 Like

Not Washington State. The only requirements for a CCP is that you’re in the states legally, over 21, have no priors, and can pay your local PD something like $40 USD in cash, check, or credit card.

Besides that, you’re good to go.

brody knobs are essential for 4-wheeling in moab, but unfortunately, unlike guns, they are illegal in most states.

1 Like

It never fails to make my stomach turn when I see a photo like that. Don’t hold a gun if you don’t anything about firearms safety. It pains me to see this kind of sloppy, and honestly lackadaisical handling of weaponry on TV and the internet. I just can’t laugh about it… It’s too disturbing.

Don’t even touch a firearm if you don’t have any training. It’s not for you. Not yet at least. You wouldn’t walk into the emergency room of your local hospital and start setting bones and prescribing antibiotics without any medical training, why should you feel that it’s at all appropriate to handle a weapon designed for the express purpose of killing a lot of people quickly without any training in how to safely handle it?

3 Likes

I don’t know why it was designed that way. I know they aren’t the only ones like that. Basically the trigger parts are in the way so the slide won’t move enough to be taken apart. One other thing that is different is the gun is taken apart from a “closed” position as well - with the slide forward. You can see a walk through here http://www.wikihow.com/Disassemble-a-Glock

There are other designs that use a slightly different method of a take down lever. You just lock the slide back and open (which would eject a round if it was loaded), move the lever, and then release the slide, allowing it to move forward all the way off the frame. You don’t pull the trigger. The ancient 1911 .45 uses a similar method, where you move the slide back (ejecting a round if loaded), line up and remove the slide release, and move the slide forward off the frame. You don’t pull the trigger.

It really isn’t a huge deal. I mean I am sure the guy designing it assumed people would follow the first steps on the manual, which include putting on safety glasses, removing the magazine, and checking the chamber. But the Glock also doesn’t have a traditional safety either, which some people have criticized. It still is an extremely popular gun. I don’t really like them for several reasons, but they are very reliable.

Hope that answers your questions some.

1 Like

Pro tip: Never play Russian Roulette with a Glock!

2 Likes

http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2000-04.html

One difference being that they make you pass a basic competency test before you’re allowed to drive a car.

This is actually not true. You can drive a car all you want without a license, as long as you are on land that is private and doesn’t immediately access public roads (varies by state). The license is to use the vehicle on public roads.

Most states make you pass a test to carry a gun in public (Concealed carry permits, etc). Some don’t allow it at all.

Somebody actually DID IT!

Edit: We need a picture of facepalming Darwin.