Woman arrested and handcuffed in Georgia for driving with a Canadian license

Even Nuero surgeons aren’t afraid to looks stuff up.

1 Like

The police can’t know the law because the people who are hired to be police officers do not have the degree of intelligence necessary to know anything.

2 Likes

Czanne: “Time to move towards ending the traffic stop as a whole. They’re dangerous for the officers, a massive point of social, financial and legal abuse for police departments and individual officers, and they don’t actually make people better drivers.”

Please provide evidence that traffic stops don’t make better drivers and improve safety.

I personally feel the issue of zero accountability for our police needs serious attention.

1 Like

I think they are referred to as “snow Mexicans” in this context.

6 Likes

I look Canadian and have been pulled over twice* in the last year.

*Once while purportedly travelling 95 mph (maybe I was, I was futzing with my gps at the time), and once while purportedly travelling 87 mph (I was futzing with the mp3 player, so that could be correct).

5 Likes

Not sure about Ga. but definitely in Texas.

I doubt it. The right of police officers to be wrong about matters of law has been successfully defended in court. It turns out ignorance of the law IS an excuse. But only if you’re a cop. http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/12/opinion-analysis-reasonable-mistakes-of-law-by-police-do-not-violate-the-fourth-amendment/

6 Likes

Based on the time line of when this happened that may have been her post on reddit, or it could be a sign that multiple jurisdictions in south Georgia are ignorant!

If she paid cash to the court she’d get a refund. If it’s a bond, such as posted by a bail bondsman, she had to pay non-refundable fee to the bondsman who posted the bond, all for the privilege of not being in jail prior to a hearing for a crime she did not commit.

5 Likes

Did you follow the link? Probably not, so follow the link. Do the reading. There’s data there. Also, failure to follow traffic rules is an engineering problem, and the engineers are a major part of the problem. (Your links are exactly what I expect from engineers who fail to see that their products have a problem; the math is fine but the premise is wrong and fails basic behavioral principles.)

Cameras and better road design are far better at encouraging driver safety. Cameras don’t selectively enforce; there’s no driving while black/Latinx/poor/female/non-Mormon with a camera. If you don’t want people driving 65, don’t build the road for 65. If you want people driving 25, make it narrow. Maximize side friction; minimize side barriers. Congestion is not a dirty word if it gets people behaving better and making better choices. And don’t let local municipalities set up speed traps. They may have started for safety, but now, they’re a behavioral money suck. Speed traps are moral hazards that local cop shops fall into as a means of financial support that doesn’t require local mill levies. It’s all about indirect taxation.

11 Likes

Like how to spell check

3 Likes

Police are going to try to make up laws that don’t exist, for whatever reason, maybe they’re having a bad day, maybe they’re trying to meet a quota, whydoesn’t matter.

What matters is if they are allowed to get away with it. If this practice goes unpunished, then these clowns are writing laws.

(of course, this means paying attention to the kind of people that police like to fuck with, which is more trouble than a lot of white liberals really want to bother with)

5 Likes

The lawsuit could be to recover the cost of the vehicle impound, missing items and damage, as well as motel charges and other per diem items. Plus, loss of time. And let’s not forget about the emotional toll getting arrested can put on someone. I kinda saw it in the victim’s video clip. Yeah, I say sue the local bastards.

3 Likes

Oh I’m pretty aware. Forget defending any specific act, just this weekend, they were working hard to give a blanket pass, apparently they don’t think any cop ever should face even a cursory civilian review at all:

And the direct response from the “benevolent” association:

6 Likes

i was once fired from a job at a pizza parlor for telling a customer who had requested provolone rather than “pizza cheese” (or vice versa, it was a million years ago, and i don’t even know what that means) that i would honor the request. i took the extra step of verifying with a more experienced coworker that i was doing it right. but apparently i did it wrong. i put the wrong damn cheese on a single pizza and i lost my job for it. what a world we live in.

2 Likes

I don’t believe you are required to get a local drivers license if you are a student. Given the REAL-ID requirements, most states wouldn’t give you one if you can’t prove you are legally allowed to be resident (which a foreign student would not)

4 Likes

And you now have to forever answer “yes” when you asked on forms whether you have been arrested.

Which leads to immigration issues in many other locations.

3 Likes

The Georgia Drivers Manual has a list of people who are not required to obtain Georgia Drivers’ Licenses. Among them is the following:

A nonresident of Georgia who is attending a school in this state, as long as:

He or she is at least 16 years of age and has in his or her immediate possession a valid license issued to him or her in his or her home state or country and a valid international driving permit if the license is in a language other than English; provided, however, that any restrictions which would apply to a Georgia driver’s license apply to the privileges given to this person; and
He or she is currently enrolled or was enrolled during the immediately preceding period of enrollment in a school in this state, has paid the tuition charged by the school to nonresidents of Georgia for the current or immediately preceding period of enrollment, and has in his or her possession proof of payment of such tuition paid for the current or immediately preceding period of enrollment.

11 Likes

So glad our police are well-informed about the laws they enforce.

Reminds me when I wanted to get a New York license in the Bronx and handed over my Oregon license. The clerk started looking through a book at foreign country’s licenses. I reminded her Oregon was a state.

6 Likes

Someone could, but that argument would be incorrect. She had her valid Canadian drivers license with her, which is all she was legally required to have. She had digital copies of her passport and her Nexus card and her birth certificate, but none of those is required to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Georgia.

5 Likes