Woman asked to remove "Hail Satan" T-shirt on American Airlines flight

Although the act of excising people from a jet aircraft is, when you get down to it, rocket surgery.

3 Likes

Exercising civil rights is not arson.

Adults don’t exercise their civil rights when others object. Got it.

Exercising civil rights is starting a fight. Got it. Learning so much from you today. /s

17 Likes

Good-Omens-Crowley-and-Aziraphale-441d49f

17 Likes

Funny, it’s the aggressively Christian ones who have the history of burning people…

17 Likes

Sometimes, it literally is, unfortunately.

So for many of us Americans, that means 'we’ll just be ‘some fighting muthafuckas, then’*… because the past is just that; the past.

And we’re not goin’ back.

*(Extra points if you can tell me what movie I just quoted.)

13 Likes

While the law has rules around someone “genuinely believing” in a religion to stop people from abusing religions to do illegal things, morality dictates that we not assume someone does not believe something unless it’s either glaringly obvious that they are full of shit (see: politician who never attends church until politically convenient to do so and claim they always have), or we know otherwise.

IMHO there are very many people who claim piety because of 1) peer pressure, 2) bigotry, 3) genuine fear for their well-being or livelihood (or self) if they do not, depending on the country in question. These people get a pass, but someone who chooses an “offensive” religion (which, I might add, has a ton of very cool tenets that have nothing to do with poking fun at Christians) does not?

This is a real religion with real beliefs, not just a religion that was designed to insult people.

21 Likes

Mod note: Deleted some victim-blaming remarks here. You are welcome to have those discussions elsewhere.

Corporations aren’t allowed to abridge people’s civil rights, full stop. It doesn’t matter if those rights “matter” to anyone or not. The point of them is to allow people to engage in protected speech, which the shirt is.

If you would rather suggest she didn’t have a point because it wasn’t an “important” bit of speech from your perspective, fine - but have that discussion in another forum that permits victim-blaming.

Thanks.

22 Likes

snl-rock-hail-satan

18 Likes

Basically a big bus with wings really.

6 Likes

(I must.)

14 Likes

I’m also a fan of this one from SNL…

snl-satan-not-monster

15 Likes

Obligs:

cf-2|nullxnull

14 Likes

south-park-satan-boxing

13 Likes

Demi-obligs…

8QPV

(I fully endorse anyone damning for that pun. It was unforgivably corny. :grimacing:)

11 Likes

As I vaguely recall, there was a schism within the Church of Satan wherein quite a few who claimed to genuinely believe in Satan formed a splinter group called The Temple of Set. Despite their arguably more “authentic” belief, I’m not aware that they were anymore the boogeymen than the CoS.

6 Likes

Also, if I may permitted to tangentially riff off your astute choice of words, this is part of why I minorly object the idea that one religion is defined by the rejection of another. Sure, schism is the basis of many such departing of beliefs, but people then keep on thinking about it, exploring, and ideas evolve because dialectic is the mechanism of all dialogue.

5 Likes

i want to believe

7 Likes

Point of pedantry: Satanism and Luciferianism are distinct.

5 Likes

I’m not a Satanist, but I do believe in Tom Ellis. Have you heard the man sing? :heart_eyes: :wink:

@GulliverFoyle: I couldn’t fall asleep last night and fell down a Google rabbit hole. Apparently the Satanic Temple has had its share of schisms too. The L.A. and Portland branches split after TST chose to use alt-right lawyer Mark Randazzo to settle a legal dispute; St. Louis left over a perceived lack of support for women and LGBT+ issues, as well as leadership conflicts, and now their group focuses more on Lilith symbolism; and the International branch broke off in favor of a more decentralized structure. Which doesn’t add much to the OP, I suppose, but does add weight to the argument that they’re much like any other religion, interpersonal politics and all.

9 Likes

Right?

Hail Tom Ellis!

10 Likes