Woman charged in the Capitol riot asks court to let her take Mexico vacation

ouran-HS-host-club-haruhi-mad

5 Likes

Let her go, revoke her citizenship while she’s there. Let her apply and go through the process like so many do.

1 Like

Again, that’s a bad idea. People NEED to be held accountable or else this will happen again.

9 Likes

That’s the best we can hope for. That Mexican passport control can do slightly better than the gross failures of the United States justice system. It is not what I would have wished for.

2 Likes

I suppose the airlines could ban her yet.

3 Likes

Pretty likely given the anti-mask nature of most of the Trumpsurrectionists. The airlines are having none of it. Except maybe United.

4 Likes

They also like the masks, to cover up the dental damage they induce. :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Just to put this in the record. The judge approved her vacation. Question now is if she is on the no fly list.

As far as I can tell, this is not the case (yet). The USA Today story linked above has been edited to reflect that fact:

Corrections and clarifications: A federal magistrate has not granted permission for Jenny Cudd to leave the country, as indicated in a previous version of this story.

7 Likes

Follow-up to my post from yesterday: USA Today issued a correction. She was NOT granted her request. Yet.

“Corrections and clarifications: A federal magistrate has not granted permission for Jenny Cudd to leave the country, as indicated in a previous version of this story.”

8 Likes

How ignorant does one have to be before it can be called stupid?

The problem isn’t that she’s stupid or even ignorant. Leaning into conspiracy theories could all be an act and she knows that they are all bullshit, but it got her donations and put her in office. We don’t know that either way.

The problem is that she’s dangerous, whether she believes the conspiracy theories or not. She’s one of the members of congress who pose a direct threat to her colleagues by constantly fanning the flames of these conspiracy theories that make it seem logical and patriotic to murder people who have a D next to their name. This same tactic was used to rally support for any number of acts of genocide right across the 20th century - “those” people are the enemy who are usually engaged in something so horrible, that murdering them is right and just. Whether people BELIEVE the conspiracy theory or not is immaterial if it causes them to ACT to “eliminate” the “threat” to the “right people.” This is exactly what such a theory is designed to do. This is not materially different from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, in that way. It provides the same sorts of justification for violent action against a political rival or some marginalized group who are seeking political power through democratic means.

I’ve said it many times here in recent months, we dismiss these people as “stupid” or “ignorant” at our peril. People have been ignoring these conspiracy theorists or simply mocking them for years, and that’s done nothing to stop them becoming a constituency courted by some candidates. They are IN public office RIGHT NOW and they pose a threat to our democratic systems, because they very much of the mind that we should do away with one of the political parties, violently if necessary. I’d very much prefer we take them seriously and remove them from office for the threat they pose, in part because you can’t throw someone out of office for “being stupid.” Treason is another thing entirely.

17 Likes

so very much this.

i know some here think i’ve been overstating the case but i continue to insist, for sure regarding marjorie taylor greene, that there is absolutely intention, delibertion, and intelligence guiding her actions. i consider her one of the most dangerous of the bunch even if she will have some trouble appealing to the misogynists among the trumpist fanboys. she is much more dangerous than hawley because she is much more charismatic and actually understands the modality of qanon expression.

10 Likes

I believe you are talking about that Congress woman who has been in the news lately and I agree completely on your assessment on her as a conscious and dangerous manipulator.
But the people being manipulated by the likes of her and this Woman who apparently thinks being involved in a failed insurrection is not a big enough deal to cancel your holiday over? Sounds pretty stupid to me.

And stupid can be very dangerous indeed. Stupidity and ignorance should not at all be a reason to be spared the consequences of one’s actions.

hall of fame game missed the point GIF

We act like these people aren’t dangerous at our peril. Whether they are stupid is entirely beside the point. One doesn’t need to be incredibly smart to take down a democracy. You need force and people willing to put their bodies on the line for dear leader. The dear leader doesn’t need to be smart, either.

Where did I say that? What the fuck are you responding to in my comment? Do you really believe I’m advocating for people who tried to over throw the country NOT be held responsible for their actions?

6 Likes

I don’t think anybody has mentioned this - but even if this is a pre-paid work trip as she has claimed, what kind of irresponsible employer plans a retreat (to another country, no less), in the middle of a fucking pandemic?

11 Likes

Yes, this “they’re sooooo stupid” thing has got to stop. Yes, yes they are. So what. That’s not what’s actually important here. What’s important to note is that a significant number of them are mobilizing and are armed and spoiling for conflict. They are DANGEROUS. Do you stop and dismiss the charging bull (tiger/lion/velociraptor/dangerous creature metaphor) as unintelligent? No, you get the fuck out of the way so you don’t get gored, rammed, bitten, clawed or trampled, and then you figure out a way to either kill it or incapacitate it, to prevent it from doing more damage. We really waste far too much time assessing other people’s intelligence, as if that’s going to help. We need to increase our threat assessment skills. DANGER!!!

8 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.