Woman charged in the Capitol riot asks court to let her take Mexico vacation

Even if she thinks she’ll be found guilty, it’s totally a non issue for her. She expects that if she is “guilty” she’ll get 25 hours community service or something and get assigned to re-shelve books returned to the library in her suburban neighborhood, and she can serve it on weekends after her vacation.

4 Likes

“A U.S. magistrate approved the request, ordering that her pretrial travel restrictions to be amended to allow the four-day trip.”

it actually IS how it works…if you’re white

3 Likes

There you go.

But I think yeah… she has that view because she’s white.

10 Likes

Oh, FFS. :frowning:

Meanwhile, minorities are held for years in pre-trial detention because they either can’t afford, or are denied, bail.

I hope this woman goes down for the original charges, and if applicable for tax fraud for her “business” retreat.

3 Likes

So far. Those are really just placeholders while investigators comb through her emails, social media posts, and phone records to see whether more serious charges are warranted.

4 Likes

The court granted her request:

Note: there’s a concerted effort on reddit to contact local Mexican consulates to get the Mexican government to bar her entry to the country.

15 Likes

this is a link to a somewhat chilling article in the atlantic about the backgrounds of people arrested on 1/6.
tl;dr it might not be who you think.

this is from the conclusion:
“Some of the standard methods of countering violent extremism—such as promoting employment or waiting patiently for participants to mellow with age—probably won’t mollify middle-aged, middle-class insurrectionists. And simply targeting better-established far-right organizations will not prevent people like the Capitol rioters from trying to exercise power by force.”

6 Likes

I’ll have to take a second look at this in the morning, but did they spend any time looking at their social media, TV viewing, and listening habits (conspiracy theorist or supremacist broadcast content)? I get the feeling they’d find lots more similarities there. They mentioned checking social media references to known groups, but didn’t consider fans or supporters of folks promoting extreme views as the new group? :thinking:

9 Likes

There are plenty of historical examples of revolutionaries who were willing to risk everything for their cause, and while you might not agree with the cause you can still admire their courage. and recognize that they were serious people. But now we have a new breed of would-be revolutionaries who think they want to overthrow the US government, yet they are worrying about losing their pre-paid Mexican vacations. The obliviousness to the meaning of their own actions is mind-boggling….

8 Likes

Please, please say yes. I want to see her attempt to travel to Mexico only to be barred from entering the country at passport control by the Federales. Somebody better have a camera on it, too. (I know that you’re not allowed to have cameras at passport control, but I’m sure we can make an exception here.)

4 Likes

Not only white privilege, but right privilege- imagine a member of any leftist group, even a white one, getting this kind of treatment. It would never happen. The white supremacist far right has always been treated with kid gloves and gotten away with (often literally) murder, while the most innocuous progressive groups have been subject to government-level harassment and surveillance- or worse, if they become too successful. However much progress we seem to have made, it’s painfully obvious that regressive racist scumbags still occupy most positions of power and authority.

11 Likes

The Caucasity of Coup: Thoughts on Undoing the American Experiment

I’m too lazy to remake a book cover for this, but I imagine any number of traitorous fucks could be on it. And yes, I know coup doesn’t rhyme with hope, but that’s the best I gots.

1 Like

Trumpsters. They want a wall to keep the Mexicans out, but still want to vacation in Mexico. Usually behind a smaller wall, to keep the Mexicans out.

slash-commands-shrug

24 Likes

When the US sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems to Mexico. They’re bringing bail-skippers. They’re bringing crime. They’re violent seditionists. And some, I assume, are good people

7 Likes

Wow, I think I might get “2020 Rightly Contemptuous Epithet” bingo from this asshole. She’s a priveloblivious, covidiot, MAGAt Karen!

Not great but maybe a lot easier to get a conviction?

1 Like

“disorderly conduct” is when you get into a drunken yelling match at the bar (with no punches thrown, just yelling)

What this women did was commit treason and be an accessory to murder. Violently trying to overthrow the government is not merely “disorderly conduct”. Somehow that charge does not seem sufficient.

4 Likes

We could maybe get them to start wearing masks if we advertised them as tiny face fences that guarantee no Mexicans will sneak into their mouths or noses.

10 Likes

5 Likes

Well said. Some of them didn’t even vote.

I’ve been watching “Lee Daniel’s The Butler” and needing to watch it in short sessions because the scenes of the brave young people who nonviolently fought for civil rights exhaust my tear ducts every time. Partly because seeing how they were treated, then looking around at how we are still letting them be treated, breaks my heart over and over.

But also looking at the caliber of those activists and what they were fighting for, then looking at these idiots who stormed the Capitol. The idiots seem to be getting louder and louder.

9 Likes