Woman charged in the Capitol riot asks court to let her take Mexico vacation

2-Jerry-Maguire-quotes

20 Likes

“Banker indicted for multibillion dollar fraud asks court to let him take Cayman Islands vacation.”

13 Likes

can anyone say ‘flight risk’?

3 Likes

Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. But some men and women are from Uranus.

That would make for a very confusing Works’ Bonding Weekend for her staff and their spouses.

As a Cis White Bloke I was astonished to learn of my privilege late in life. It really is invisible to those enjoying it. I’m ever so glad for Breadtube opening my eyes to a world so much wider, and more wonderful than I used to know. I do hope that, if I were in school these days, I’d be clued in a heck of a lot earlier.

5 Likes

… accidently returns on plane bound for Gitmo and doesn’t receive a Constitutionally guaranteed trial.

Instead or ropes courses and trust falls it’s all “enhanced interview” techniques and…shit. I don’t even want these assholes to have to endure that. Joke cancelled. Shut it down!

10 Likes

The problem (a problem, one of many) is that she’s not facing charges of insurrection, but of ‘disorderly conduct’ and unlawfully being in a place. The charges themselves are broadcasting that they will all get a free pass.

12 Likes

“Vacation”.

9 Likes

You think you’re mad now, just wait until the judge grants her request.

12 Likes

Sure, sweetheart. Just don’t expect your American passport to work when you want to come home. Traitors can rot in exile.

2 Likes

I’m not sure it’s registered in her brain that she might be found guilty.

4 Likes

No. She needs to be put on trial and serve her time when found guilty. She and others absolutely need to be held accountable for their actions.

18 Likes

The disturbing possibility is that it will work that way for her. It certainly works that way for, ahem, certain people, and the court apparently hasn’t (yet) turned down her request.

Clearly almost all these people went into the Capitol thinking they were doing nothing “wrong” (at least in the sense of something that they’d actually get in trouble for), and I still don’t think she, like many of the people involved, understands she broke a “real” law for which there are legal consequences. I mean, the president said it was okay, and lots of other white people did it, so how serious could it be? It’s just a little legal “whoopsie,” like, a parking ticket or whatever! She doesn’t think her white privilege will save her, because her privilege has prevented her from ever knowing that actions can have serious consequences to begin with.

13 Likes

I didn’t mean for her.

As @navarro deftly intutioned, I meant that’s not how it works for anyone who ISN’T rich and White.

That’s why I chose a gif of a BIPOC woman saying it.

Thanks; now that I’ve had to explain it, it’s no longer “funny.”

10 Likes

Mexico right now: ‘When America sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems…’

9 Likes

Sorry. A lot of the responses to this story have been, “lol, the caucacity of this woman - she’s so wrapped in her privilege that she doesn’t get this isn’t how this works.”

4 Likes

The kind of owner who is trying to write off a vacation as a business expense. Her next visit should be from the IRS.

6 Likes

Oh, I’m sure she thinks about race quite a bit.
Though you’re right, that’s not likely how she justifies her actions, but I have no doubt the naivete you describe only comes with the explicit understanding that she is not “the other”.

5 Likes

Woman charged in the Capitol riot asks court to let her take Mexico vacation

On behalf of the Mexican delegation…

3 Likes

I am tempted to watch and see if the judge accommodates this request by having the trial and sentencing completed before Presidents Day (February 15th), with an admonishment that she should seriously consider getting travel insurance.

1 Like