Woman gets explosion in face while lighting car on fire

Love is a many cindered thing.

18 Likes

Fox Network local stations have nothing to do with Fox News, if that’s why you posted a non-working link.

I’ve heard, somewhere, that a tea-light lit and pushed underneath a car engine can be enough to set the thing on fire. It seems reasonable to me. Most engines have a certain amount of oil about them, especially underneath. Although I see that modern cars tend to have a plate of some kind underneath the engine. That must make it difficult to get to change the oil. Not that I’m suggesting that, you understand. I don’t even know if it works.

I would have loved to see her drive up in that Ford.

My assumption is that they called the authorities already before they even started filming and were just waiting for them to arrive. They appear to have known she was up to no good, otherwise they wouldn’t be filming some random person in a parking lot.

6 Likes

Some people can pinpoint the exact moment when they chose to ruin their life, exhibit A is displayed here.

2 Likes

Had an American school friend back in my teens (I’m in the UK), and his dad had a serious network of scars on one arm. It seems that when he was around 16, he was underneath his car doing some welding on or near the petrol tank… without having checked it was drained.

Went about as well as can be expected!

2 Likes

There are whole songs about this.

3 Likes

Well aware of that song. Not a fan personally.

bartund?

Yes - I have no sympathy for whatever this woman is about to receive as far as legal recourse. Zero concern for other people’s property.

And that’s not even factoring in the risk to emergency personnel who need to deal with this.

2 Likes

Like yourself, I don’t claim to be an expert, but I’m skeptical of that working reliably. There are certainly flammable liquids in the engine, but a tea light doesn’t put out a lot of wattage; if it gets distributed across much of the mass of an engine, I’d expect it to warm the fuel but not to its flash point.

I’m more into @FGD135’s suggestion of firestart cubes on the tires. It’s sitting right on its fuel, so pretty soon it’s a flaming gummy mess, then a big smoky fire. THAT’ll get that engine started!

1 Like

Clearly, she has not watched the Italian crime drama Gomorrah (now on HBO Max), for then she would know that the proper technique for torching cars is to create a remote ignition system by poring a stream of gasoline down the door and along the ground to be set aflame with a lighter from a safe distance. (They do it a lot in that show.)

2 Likes

3 Likes

He must have been a real catch.

3 Likes

Eyebrows are so passé.

2 Likes

Amateur.
You don’t need accelerants.
Just toss a lit Road Flare in there.

Granted, it won’t happen as quickly, nor will it be as spectacular, but you neither want nor need those properties in this sort of incident…
And it helps not to do it in broad daylight.

ETA:
Since this is her (ex?) boyfriend’s vehicle, one just wonders how he done her wrong.
There are details missing to this story.

Orbital lasers.

2 Likes

I’ve never been able to make firestart cubes work, even on BBQ’s. Chimney and newspaper for me. Not for this application, of course

1 Like

You’d need a sizeable chimney and a lot of newspaper for this application. I’d give points for effort, at least!

1 Like