Woman gets explosion in face while lighting car on fire

well, if you want a better method, cheap but sturdy RC car, can of sterno , park it under the gas tank and wait for results. Better yet; slightly greasy hands (in gloves, of course), leave handprints on hood of car, when owner sees prints imagines bomb or other mischief, suffers psychological distress. ( I actually saw this happen to a guy with a small Mercedes; he came back to his car parked outside a business, saw prints on his hood and jumped like a scared cat. He went behind a dumpster and used his remote starter (they were rare then, this was a while ago) to start the car. It’s a good life. The car didn’t blow up, btw. Good thing for me as I was standing right across the street taking it all in.

1 Like

“Dad, are we really going to jail for deliberately setting cars on fire?”

“Yes we are, son”

7 Likes

Do you have credits for this?

go to the youtube page, credits are in the info.

That’s because in movies gas lights up like kerosene. I learned how gas lights up burning scrap wood on a jobsite, piled the lumber, poured gas on, went & got the matches & stood what I thought was a safe distance & tossed a match. Blew the pile apart. Kerosene is the safe way to do evil like this.

5 Likes

…Curse you, I was drinking soda -.-’ .

Luckily, I bought a keyboard that has a waterproof upper deck; your evil plot is (somewhat stickily) thwarted!

4 Likes

I mean, it’s less a suggestion and more a tried and true method that’s used over the world.

4 Likes

I hear it’s somewhat of a local tradition in Berlin-Kreuzberg.

2 Likes

Eyebrows are so passé.

2 Likes

A gallon of gasoline is equivalent to 10 sticks of dynamite (some folks say more like 14). I’ve always been amazed at the lack of respect we have for gasoline. I’ve seen some truly scary gasoline incidents in my life. Gasoline fumes are even scarier. I saw my dad start a brush pile on fire at our farm with gasoline. It was a hot day with a very slight breeze. When he lit the brush pile not only did the pile of large branches jump a foot in the air but a flame flashed over a hundred feet across the pasture from gasoline vapor drift. My mom came running out of the house yelling “What was that”? We just looked at our feet and said it was probably a grain truck hitting a bump on the highway.
Kerosene or fuel oil is much safer it’s actually kind of difficult to get burning.

2 Likes

My cousin and I burned a pond, when we were younger. We poured two liters of gas onto the surface, and used a burning piece of paper on the end of a stick to ignite it. Singed all the hair off my arm and sent a fireball way up into the air.

For some reason I have in my mind that it was diesel instead of regular gas, but in my memory it ignited instantly with a terrifying whoosh. It seemed like diesel was more of a hassle to get started than that.

If it was not the established practice for powering automobiles, i.e. if battery tech had won the day back in 1900, and someone tried to introduce gasoline engine cars in today’s world I don’t think there would be a chance of it being allowed.

2 Likes

“top of the line in utility sports, unexplained fires are a matter for the courts”

This video is from last summer, so I tried to look up what happened next. I could only find that she was blaming it on her horoscope (not joking).

“Daddy?”

“Yes, son?”

“What does regret mean?”

“It’s what your mom experienced right after lighting that car on fire.”

2 Likes

Batteries are another underestimated source of danger. The Lithium ion based batteries concentrate a tremendous amount of energy when charged. There have already been some incidents of electric car batteries with catastrophic failure. Even the small rechargeable batteries for flashlights etc. can be dangerous. I’m still all for batteries but there should be some public education on them.
In the movie Demolition Man, Wesley Snipe’s character blew up the batteries in cars. Fiction meets fact

2 Likes

No question…I’m the guy that puts my 'phone, tablet, and rechargeable flashlight on a non flammable surface at night. Overkill, I’m sure but it costs nothing. Just about any means of storing energy for transportation has risk. Can you imagine a high speed flywheel letting go? Maybe hydrogen would dissipate fast enough to reduce risk?

Hydrogen is among the most dispersive gases. I was told by Hewlett-Packard engineers that releasing a whole cylinder in a large conference room would not burn or explode. It would be too dilute to sustain a flame. We used hydrogen in gas chromatographs as a carrier. Worst thing that happened is it might ignite in the oven and blow the door open. Many people contend that the Hindenburg went up because of the doping on the skin to make it gas tight. Apparently the chemicals were quite flammable and very experimental.

2 Likes

I expect I am missing something, but I thought the reason Hydrogen was considered unfit for lighter than air craft was the risk of it combusting and consequently the aircraft loosing lift, not so much that the explosion was dangerous in itself. But, either way, the first major air travel disaster and it’s visibility put the end to it. I just noted Ars Technica posted an article suggesting the German manufacturers have given up on Hydrogen tech for cars so I guess that’s done too :slight_smile: Pantographs it is then! I have a friend who “drives” vintage electric streetcars for the Edmonton Radial Railway, I’ll have to ask him what’s wrong with those /s . ( by the way, he’s not an old guy; he’s in his twenties and looks like Tom Hanks from The Polar Express when he’s in his uniform )

2 Likes

In India Tata motors builds cars powered by compressed air.

The air compressors would be the weak link. It seems to me you could use windmills to compress air. But if you do it with a compressor driven directly by the windmill it would reduce environmental impact.

2 Likes