Woman kicked out of mall for wearing Finding Nemo tank top and shorts

Ok, I’ve cleaned this out again.

Let’s please try and keep things civil, especially in the absence of specific information regarding the motives of the authority in question.

4 Likes

That’s also possible, if not necessarily very probable.

3 Likes

You’ve obviously never been a mischievous adolescent boy.

1 Like

Kind of a dumb prank.

… Which makes it believable

1 Like

Those flats are scandalously clashing with the rest of the outfit!

1 Like

As much as the conservative media would have us think otherwise, this is the case. Everything in M. Atwood’s novel, which was written in the 1980s, was based on actual events in human history. Sure, she combined them all into her own special dystopian hell, but the restrictions and other actions foisted upon women were all drawn from actual historical events

THIS ON CRACK. It’s not about the personal or the place. Privilege is systemic. It ain’t about you personally or where you are from. Trust, I live in Alabama and the “but there are good people here too!” doesn’t fly.

Hence, the usual reply in the US, “but there are wonderful people here!” It’s not an attack on you personally or where you are from. It’s much, much more systemic than that. These things are culturally constructed in ways that even those of us who are aware can’t always parse. I feel like a broken record with every, single, response to “not all are x, y, or z.”

One of the most amazing conversations I’ve ever had was with a POC friend of mine. After one of the police shootings (maybe Ferguson?), she told me about “the talk” she’s had with her son, who was, BTW, 12 at the time, the same age as my son and they are friends. The “talk” consisted of how he should ever react if he was approached by the police. I was at once utterly ashamed and aghast. Of course, being who I am, I went and did research. This is no small thing, as POC know, but those of us who enjoy privilege do not: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/opinion/a-conversation-with-my-black-son.html?_r=0

To deny that race has something to do with an incident like this is akin to denying that many, many parents of children of color feel the need to have such talks.

People, it is real and it is now.

27 Likes

For reference, here’s the mall’s website, which spells out it’s code of conduct.

https://shopwoodlandmall.com/tools

For the record it, currently, has one entry concerning attire…

“4. Appropriate attire, including shirts and shoes, is required. Clothing with inappropriate words, phrases or graphics is not permitted and is subject to mall management approval.”

Not a single word of this would apply to what she’s wearing. This isn’t just a bunch of bullshit, here’s hoping she has grounds for a costly lawsuit. Fuck that mall.

14 Likes
1 Like

pardon me, but you are showing too much skin of the wrong color.

~or~

pardon me, but you are showing too much skin of the wrong gender.

I, like you, fear it was likely both…smdh.

9 Likes

“Heil Trump!”
“Heil ihn doch selbst, wenn du denkst da sei was zu retten.” antwortete der deutsche Psychiater seinem amerikanischen Kollegen.

'Macht Amerika wieder gross!'
That’s just gross.

‘Fuhrer’ has never been a German word. The correct contemporary form would be ‘Trumpenführer’.

In all seriousness, current Germany, with all its flaws, stands out in the current world like one of its few beacons of stability, reason and sanity. I really mean it.
Contemporary Germany has Mutti Merkel. Nobody but Murdoch press or maybe the Sultan of Turkey or some other Fuhrer would be disconnected enough to compare her to Schicklgruber.

Maybe it would be okay to allow for the English-speaking world to use the misspelling of ‘Fuehrer’ as a diminutive term to describe all the ‘strong leadership’ wannabehitlers everywhere.

Explains why the weather was so hot.

1 Like

dutch person?

Not most places that I have been and if that were the case in a shopping mall the mall would be negligent if it failed to clean it up promptly.

In general if I want to go barefoot I am the one taking the risk, the mall need not forbid my barefootedness, it should instead forbid the breaking and scattering of beer bottles.

Yes I am white, and you make an excellent point - I may not see it, I can only go on my experience. I grew up in a very small, very rural, and very conservative town about 50 north of Grand Rapids, which was also home to a single black man. He was actually one of my father’s best friends, and being single was a frequent dinner guest. Many people in the city pointed to him as proof that, once again they were better than everybody else because ‘look, we let a black man here - he gets to shop and eat in our restaurants and everything!’. But then I saw that change when first Jim became my Little League coach and half my team disappeared. Then he married a single mother (also black) from a medium sized city about 30 miles away, and suddenly having three “of them” in town was too much, and life became more difficult. Jim (and my father) both worked for a very enlightened business owner, who responded by giving Jim the transfer that he wanted, but also promoted him to a major division of the company.

So I’m not unfamiliar with prejudice up close, but my whiteness certainly means I’ll never grasp completely what it means to experience it. I’ve never been pulled over by the police for looking suspicious. I’ve never been followed around a store to make sure I didn’t steal anything. But the point I hoped to make was that, in my experience, not everybody in conservative, dutch West Michigan is like that. Even though we may not experience it, whities like me can empathize, and we can try to make a difference.

1 Like

The person I replied to surmised someone of Dutch decent was offended (I assume conservative Mennonite or Amish type - which IIRC are also lumped in as dutch.)

Fun fact - my grandpa was called Dutch, though that was because he mumbled and people couldn’t understand him.

2 Likes

Are you sure it’s not because he was an OG?

2 Likes

No, I asked one time. IIRC his dad gave him that name because it sounded like he was speaking Dutch and it stuck.

Fun fact, family lore is that a notorious gangster stayed a day with my grandmas family when she was a child in the 30s. IIRC it was Dillinger, but maybe not. He did some chores and they fed him supper and he left in the morning as he was on the run. Though this is probably a mix of myth and misrememberings.

3 Likes

Possibly of Dutch decent, but I’m pretty sure what he meant was a member of the Dutch Reformed Church.

4 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like
6 Likes