Woman kicked out of mall for wearing Finding Nemo tank top and shorts

On the scale of nude to niqab what exactly is a woman allowed to wear in the USA ?

14 Likes

We have no evidence that it was a racially motivated issue; and she expressly states “slut shaming” as in she was told it was about it being too revealing.

Racial or revealing is utter crap either way; however, let’s not call a diamond a spade.

I appreciate the ‘please’, but what’s wrong with using a perfectly fitting analogy when describing Trump? (For the record, I’ve never employed a German accent; it would have come out sounding silly.)

I didn’t vote for Trump. And the Hitler/Trump coupling is in NO way ‘contemporary’ with current Germany (if that’s the concern).

4 Likes

I’ve just spent a lot of time in the area. It’s extremely White and Conservative.

I am speculating based on her statements that other young women were dressed similarly and received no complaints.

13 Likes

I thought the same thing. I for one would argue if she walk through the mall in just a bikini and flip flops; she’s satisfying conditions for being at a public beach, so why wouldn’t it be fine for a public shopping mall?

Did she state the other young women were different than her racially? Like I said…I don’t see any evidence that it was racism; not that it’s not possible.

Its a fair point that race may or may not play a role here. Some times it is subconscious too.

Unless those shorts are actually assless in the back, there is nothing wrong that outfit. Sorry if it made some dutch person uncomfortable, but holy cow, don’t go outside in the summer then. I have been to Michigan and lived in very conservative areas (Hutchinson, KS had clothed life drawing classes, and many Mennonite communities.) They didn’t have burkas in Michigan when I went - though I did see some in Mennonite type garb. But in general, those people live and let live. If someone complained, fine. But no way any actions should have been taken. I am pretty sure one could kick 10-50% of the women in the mall dresssed like that on a given day.

3 Likes

White males never have that experience. That’s a huge part of the problem.

#notallwhitepeople

20 Likes

When the men in America decide what we’re allowed to wear, we’ll get back to you! :wink:

28 Likes

Hence, speculation.

Given that area, odds are very good that most other mall-goers were Caucasian.

But, I’ll bite. Based on the information presented, what do you think the difference was between this young lady and the other young ladies which received no complaints?

8 Likes

Are you white? Because maybe you don’t see it if you are?

12 Likes

Found it on a map.

16 Likes

Well a beach is truly a public space, while a mall is privately owned. The rules and circumstances are not quite on par and that’s an important thing to keep in mind. She may be in public at the mall but it is still private property.

Personally speaking i would do my best to pay no heed to someone wearing swimwear at a mall, but i would most likely agree that it’s not wholly appropriate. Unless the mall is somewhere by the ocean, then it wouldn’t be out of the ordinary. Context would matter i suppose. I’m just glad i’m not in charge of making these calls.

6 Likes

I can only go by what she stated…someone said she was dressed inappropriate. She specifically called out “slut-shaming” so whoever spoke to her from Mall Security must have addressed her attire as being too revealing - which we can I am sure agree is not the case.

I’d rather not speculate beyond the mall Security should have told the reporting person “We will take it under advisement” then gone and looked at this young lady’s attire and filed said complaint in the circular file and grabbed a latte from Starbucks.

Stupidity isn’t hard to counter.

I never understood why pants aren’t required…

12 Likes

Because that’s the usual Anglo-Saxon way of dealing with the matter. Pretending that stuff like that isn’t even in their vocabulary and political makeup.

“Der Fuhrer” with its false spelling and incorrect grammar even sounds like the mad German scientists Marvel, DC and Hollywood love to work into their works, as convenient shortcuts.

Now, as as German I don’t complain when we have those in the appropriate period piece, like the current Wonder Woman movie. Or about any movie about World War 2. But it’s getting downright annoying when it applied elsewhere, for totally domestic problems.

The US warred against the native Americans akin to genocide, they placed them into reservations, imported millions of black people as slaves and, even after abolishing slavery, used all kinds of dirty tricks and outright suppression to prevent them and other minorities achieving the same right de facto (often not even de jure) , and placed citizens of Japanese decent into camps, in many cases effectively seizing their property.

Nah, sorry, there’s no need have to import “analogies” when all that is already in the history books.

15 Likes

The typical Basic White Girl summer uniform seems to be this, but half her bra hanging out of her tanktop.

1 Like

Why are you persistently ignoring something else she stated?

Never mind that within a one foot radius there were plenty of girls dressed just like me, since it’s NINETY degrees outside.

Given the racial demographics where this mall is located, what do you think the chances are that those other girls were white?

17 Likes

Which is basically why it was a major scandal for Michelle Obama to allow herself to be photographed in a sleeveless dress while Republicans had no problem with Melania lying naked on a polar bear pelt.

35 Likes

Try going by the other thing she stated.

8 Likes