Woman punches a flight attendant and knocks out her teeth

“acting in self-defense”

She must be a Republican, given that apparently she thinks responding with violence to someone telling her to do something she doesn’t want to do is “self defense.”

36 Likes

Upon landing? Jesus. Seriously, keep it in your pants for another 15 mins. You’re almost done! What a bone-head.

@longtimelurker beat me to it.

10 Likes

Pre-covid I used to fly a fair amount - once a month was about my average, sometimes more - and usually on SW.
I noticed a thing that some people try to pull “lately”. More than once I’ve seen people jump up and try to bolt to the front as soon as the seatbelt light is off. We’re not talking people who have to run to get another flight because this one was delayed. When that is the case, the flight attendants will generally announce that there are people with connecting flights, please let them through, etc…
Nope, they just want to beat the rush. I have absolutely stopped people in their tracks trying to do this.
“One row at a time, dude” is what I say. I’ve yet to be argued with as I make it very clear I am serious.

15 Likes

Well, smarter than the average Q-nut. Legally, lawyer up and shut up is the right choice. Morally, I’d like to see her keep digging her hole by running her mouth to the media so she doesn’t get off with probation and an anger-management course.

8 Likes

I hope so, too. Failure to follow the instructions of an in-flight crew-member is a Federal offense. I am not sure whether aggravated assault in an airplane en-route to its destination (i.e. not having off-boarded all passengers and gone to the evening hanger) is a Federal offense as well, but suspect it us.

Hoping the FAA prosecutes to the greatest extent of the law. I’ve been on some truly atrocious flights with horrible flight crews, but nothing to warrant attacking someone.

6 Likes

29 posts were split to a new topic: Airline etiquette

Could easily cost $10,000 in dental surgery, bone grafts, implants and crowns. It’s definitely no trivial thing, and natural teeth have ligaments and nerves that make them superior in function, when in good condition, to implants.

6 Likes

Lawyers can’t charge for criminal cases on contingency. And she won’t get a public defender unless she can’t afford an attorney. She won’t have any trouble finding a lawyer to take her case. They’ll get paid whether she takes a plea, is acquitted, or found guilty. A good lawyer, based on this video, would hopefully advise her to plead guilty, unless something happened before the filming started, which seems unlikely.

3 Likes

That poor flight attendant. :face_with_head_bandage: :scream:

14 Likes

Yup, at least wait for it to stop, if you’re in a big rush (transfers and whatnot).

I felt pretty much constantly in 2019 and one of my flights left SFO about 2 hours late. We landed in Chicago about 1.5 hours late. Those of us staying in Chicago (mostly) stayed in our seats once we got to the gate so the people with connections could get off first. Everyone, including the pilot (who also had a connection, he said) was pissed the whole flight. They even gave us extra drinks and snacks to try to appease us. And we still didn’t have anyone stand up the second it landed.

2 Likes

I can’t tell what happens at the beginning of the video. To me it almost looks like the flight attendant puts her hand on the woman’s shoulder to speak to her and that is what provokes the reaction. I’m trying to make sense out of “She came at her first.” I guess when you are scream “We are gonna sue you” at someone and they lean into your space that might seem aggressive? I get anxious when people get into my space but that reaction seemed like it was both over the top and remarkably fluid, like someone for whom it was an appropriate reaction but just in the wrong context. Would someone who had been in prison act that way if you got in their space like that, for example?

It’s scary because you don’t really know when someone will just go off like that.

1 Like

Despite this past year’s overwhelming evidence to the contrary, most people are really decent and will go out of their way to make civilization work. That other 15%, though…

5 Likes

Even if she does plead down her criminal charges, she won’t be able to plead down a ban from the airline. Hopefully she doesn’t see the inside of another plane again.

6 Likes

Defence lawyers don’t only defend innocent people. They’re there to ensure people have their full rights and access under the law and aren’t unjustly punished, even when their clients committed the act in question.

10 Likes

What a colossal asshole.

8 Likes

Yeah I am still puzzling over all the likes for the top post about how defense lawyers are too classy to take a nincompoop for a client.

I suppose they were reacting to the truism that she is a nincompoop.

2 Likes

You’re right, I’ve probably just been increasingly exposed to too many bad faith legal arguments (because that’s what gets clicks) and lost sight of that fundamental. Post edited.

2 Likes

The first post mainly states what seems obvious; the woman who committed assault is a hot-headed dumbass.

Will some lawyer take still take that dumbass’s money, even if her case is completely unwinnable?

8 Likes

self defense … where are those “stand your ground” laws when you really need them? /s

That’s not the only reason. If the cheap seats were comfortable, then people currently paying extra not to be in them wouldn’t do so. The air industry has tight enough margins that the only way to pay for the plane to get off the ground is to price the cheap seats below cost, and make it up on the expensive ones. Basically, you have three currencies to spend, money, comfort, and convenience, and the airlines charge you for the latter two in order to get some to pay instead with the first. (This is why the saturday-night-stay and such rules exist. Why would the airline care?)

In the 19th century passenger trains had the covered cars and the open-air cars, where in the latter you would get cinders and ashes in your face. It would’ve been cheap to cover those too, but then people wouldn’t have paid extra not to be in those cars.

1 Like