Flight attendants are learning to punch obnoxious customers

Originally published at: Flight attendants are learning to punch obnoxious customers | Boing Boing

12 Likes

I guess tasing them is too potentially hazardous on a plane.

12 Likes

Pleased to see that the AERIAL NAZI PUNCHING tag now has more than one entry. :+1:t3:

34 Likes

fuckin_a

26 Likes

“approximately 3,889 reports of unruly behavior by passengers, including about 2,867 reports of passengers refusing to comply with the federal face mask mandate.”

I’m curious if they have stats on how many of the “unruly passengers” were intoxicated. It boggles my mind that being wasted on an airplane is still acceptable. I understand some people get nervous when flying but if you have to be visibly intoxicated to get over your nervousness perhaps you should take the train.

14 Likes

I think it’s just an excuse to drink.

People who are alcoholics or borderline, who are taking every single opportunity to drink.

18 Likes

ALWAYS PUNCH NAZIS

19 Likes

I’ve encountered a number of cabin crew who definitely do not need a more cop-like, violence-oriented attitude to their jobs.

Asshole passengers are assholes, sure. I’m sorry if decades of airline-industry workers acting like prison guards has led to a situation where they feel like prison guards. But there’s no question who has the power in that setting, and nothing to cheer about in airline staff making plans to assault customers more.

2 Likes

Eyes, nose & groin. Boom, it’s over.

10 Likes

Hey, that’s a real improvement. Used to be, they’d have to call some sort of security to beat up on paying passengers: United Express Flight 3411 incident - Wikipedia

3 Likes

In case of emergency…

15 Likes

What bugs me is forcing people at work to play defense instead of getting to the root of the problem - and cutting it out.

22 Likes

Risk getting fined up to a million dollars and getting one’s ass kicked by an attendant, I think it would just be easier to wear the mask.

8 Likes

i’m ok with this.

11 Likes

would be nice to have a high speed train network in this country. But Nooo…

7 Likes

I dunno, man.
Pre-pandemic, I flew a fair amount, something averaging one roundtrip a month. Not a ton, but more than your average American.
I really can’t think of a time when the staff seemed anything but professional - but I do remember plenty of asshole customers. At the gate and inside the plane. To say nothing of people who can’t even get their shit together to either get in their damn seat or get the hell out in an orderly/efficient manner…

14 Likes

I think the culture’s changed, and we’ll just have to accept the new normal.

1 Like

Honestly, if there’s a belligerent passenger, I have a very easy collectivist solution.

Pilot on overhaed: ladies and gentlemen, apologies for the delay, there’s a belligerent passenger in row 22, seat B, and I can’t take off until they’re off the plane. If everyone wants to get to Saint Louis on time, do your part and bucket chain their ass down to the tarmac, thanks.

13 Likes

Or knees, nuts and nose. Pretty easy body parts to find and striking any one of these targets doesn’t require much force to accomplish pacification. Even Grandma can do it, kids!
A simple flick of the fingers across someone’s nose and they can’t see because of watering eyes while the sting breaks their concentration.

9 Likes

Requisite:

15 Likes