Woman smashed in face with beer mug for speaking Swahili at Applebees

You mean they saw through the fact I failed second year college German 20 years earlier?!? I’m devastated!

I’ve spoken Swahili at work. Guess I’m lucky none of my co-workers carry beer mugs.

1 Like

Concur, but people are weird. I live in Canada where we generally speak two languages; and I once had a co-worker chew out some other co-workers for speaking French in front of him - in a cafeteria - at another table. I still look back in that in awe of his sense of entitlement.

3 Likes

Asshats abound, anywhere and everywhere.

1 Like

Social power dynamics. In America, Christians are a large majority of the population, and wield significant social power, so narratives about Christians are multi-faceted, with diverse, nuanced portrayals, more honestly representing their true diversity. One point about how maybe they tend to be dicks doesn’t make a stereotype.

In comparison, Muslims are much, much more rare, they wield significantly less social power, and their portrayal in media is deeply problematic. Presuming terrorisms isn’t likely to meet with significant counter-examples and will feed in to a dominant narrative of otherization of a minority group.

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much the definition of a stereotype. It is possible to stereotype people of privilege. You know?

Now you know.

If you ask 10,000 people randomly selected from the nation if Christians are violent, do you think you’ll get affirmative answers?

The social scientist in me actually wants you to do that. The lazy message board guy just thinks the answer is pretty self-evident: there’s no “violent Christian stereotype” that is ubiquitous in representations and media reporting of Christians.

One way you can tell is that this article doesn’t mention the woman’s religion. They don’t consider it relevant. It doesn’t play into the narrative they’re telling here. The article’s narrative is “look at this awful woman!”, not “Look at how dangerous Christians are!”

4 Likes

Ugh. I’ve had the same computer for 4 years now, and every few days the keyboard randomly switches over to Canadian French. I’m usually halfway through an email when I realize that my punctuation and words don’t make any sense. It was worse before I figured it out - but damn you language police, damn you!

1 Like

Not all that much sympathy here. I’m currently working with a US keyboard, and using Alt key combinations for letters with diacritical marks is a pain in the arse. The Canadian bilingual keyboard (which I presume you have) was actually pretty good at letting me switch between English and French layouts.

The question you should be asking is what is causing the code page to switch on you. That’s not the keyboard, that’s the software interpreting the keyboard. If you are running Windows, you might want to go into Control Panel (Region and Language applet) and disable Canadian French under Keyboards.

1 Like

It obviously doesn’t help if you do routinely need the french side; but I’m told that there is a modest not-very-underground market in EN-US replacement keyboards for fixing Quebec-retail laptop models. Some people also buy through ‘business’ channels, which apparently don’t care as much; possibly because they have no retail presence for regulatory purposes.

1 Like

See, he’s making a joke about a recent article that was about all religions by selectively picking on his least-favorite religion.

So - no difference.

I’ve had people talk about me in Spanish, and since I am very much a gringa they’re usually surprised when I understand it. Which seems silly; nearly everyone in SoCal can speak some Spanish. Plus, I’m a woman, I can infer what chupa mi verga means when a leering dude is saying it.

My friends in Norway tell me that people would find it silly for me to try and learn some Norwegian to visit the country. Everyone knows English. In fact, their English is often better than some of the native speakers I know (although directly translating some idioms will trip them up).

3 Likes

No one ever said that Christians and Muslims have the same stereotypes. Your strawman is a strawman.

If you ask 10,000 people randomly selected from a Muslim nation if American Christians act privileged, do you think you’ll get affirmative answers? If you ask 10,000 people randomly selected from a Muslim nation if American Christians act violently, do you think you’ll get affirmative answers?

I believe Islamists are portrayed more than fairly by the media. The viewers (including you) must realize however, that although all Islamists are Muslims, not all Muslims are Islamist. In WWII media the Germans and the Japanese were the stereotyped bad guys. In the cold war era the Soviets were the stereotyped bad guys. In post 9/11 media…I’ll let you figure it out. No one is making movies about bad guy Muslims. They are making movies about bad guy Islamists. I have seen moves and media with positive Muslim characters. Unfortunately most Americans don’t like the same movies I do or the movies I like would do better at the box office.

We may not like each other, but we both hate these people more.

1 Like

I’d tell that ass, “lighten up, Francis.”

Technically speaking, we are a bunch of primates. I think the question is whether we’ve evolved from them. Certainly you could make a case that we descended from them. But whether we’ve evolved, hmmm…

3 Likes

That’s pretty great to read, but the fact that the text changes a good 4-5 seconds behind the speaking, as far as I can tell, makes this absolutely infuriating to try and follow along…

No one’s saying that they do, so your strawman/strawman is a strawman. A veritable matryoshka doll of strawmen.

None of these things are stereotypes, either. (That was kind of the point - “Violent Christian” isn’t a stereotype in America)

Then you haven’t been paying attention, and your opinion can be safely regarded as ill-informed, if not ideologically motivated.

2 Likes

It’s precisely what you implied.

Then let me be the first to tell you America doesn’t have a monopoly on stereotyping. Also, America doesn’t have a monopoly on the internet; In case you haven’t noticed the world wide web is world wide.

Back at ya

No thanks, we already have too many racists here.

7 Likes