Woman uses keys to fight off man who pulled off her head scarf and grabbed her

I was on my iPhone…thank you for having my back!!!

3 Likes

Um… she wasn’t “spurned” she was physically attacked. Very different things there.

10 Likes

Which is exactly why I don’t get into fights. They are almost always, in my experience, moronic ego battles (both external and internal) and I just couldn’t give a damn. That 100% commitment thing only works if you believe. I have, however been physically dragged into fights and that 100% wasn’t very hard to muster.

5 Likes

They’re better than nothing, but you do risk breaking the one that you might need to reach safety! Better keep that one tucked away in your fist. Or, as @Gyrofrog points out, keep something nastier than keys on there as well.

It’s not nastier, but a roll of quarters is legal everywhere.

4 Likes

Exactly, best way to win a fight is don’t be there in the first place.

7 Likes

And she did both! :joy:

6 Likes

So are pens, pencils, newspapers, coffee cups, soda cans, etc. :wink:

4 Likes

I’d say something sarcastic about white/male privilege or something,
but…I think everybody gets it now, and it’s just really sad.

1 Like

I’ve never been in a fight or altercation thankfully, i have almost gotten into a few but i’ve been successful so far at diffusing the situation or exiting the situation early enough that i don’t have to be forced to make a decision to fight or not.

A friend of mine though has been in quite a few, he’s really fit but quite short. Ex military with martial arts training and for whatever reason random assholes try to pick fights with him.

6 Likes

Ah yes, the Lash Canino treatment…

1 Like

He may be Jesus, but…

1 Like

Does a ring count? It’s a band of metal worn on one or more fingers and it can certainly cause injury. Does the answer change if the ring has a faceted stone that could be used to cause blunt force trauma if used to punch someone?

Cleats or studs? I suppose it would only count if the spikes were sharpened, though. Or how about snowshoes?

An umbrella? Before you scoff, the Wikipedia page for umbrellas has sections listing publications that described how to use umbrellas for offense or defense as well as people (both real and fictional) who have used umbrellas as weapons. If you were to keep an extending umbrella’s ribs wrapped in the strap that keeps it closed, pressing the button would cause that section to extend.

Straws?

A jump rope?

2 Likes

That looks much more stylish than the keychain below.

3 Likes

I think you’d get away with a ring because of the “designed to cause injury” part of that one.
Cleats/studded shoes wouldn’t fall under footclaws by dint of not being a “bar of metal or other hard material”. An umbrella wouldn’t be caught because that one specifies a truncheon, which an umbrella isn’t.

Straws and skipping ropes though, watch out! It occurred to me when I was copying it that the classic children’s pea-shooter would also fall under that one.

It’s all academic anyway because of the laughably broad “designed to cause harm” and “carried with intent to cause harm” catchall gotcha clauses. But the weird specificity of all the listings in that section make me wonder if there was some kind of “Ninja Panic” going around in the mid-to-late '80s…

2 Likes

I bought a friend of mine a “tactical” pen, the one i mentioned some posts above that has gotten jumped before, the pen is basically heavy metal and can be used to strike someone as a self defense tool. He really liked it and has managed to bring it into events when security was checking for weapons. Looks much nicer than that awfulness :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Depends…
image image

5 Likes

That is Rule Zero of getting into a gun fight (or any fight, really). Don’t be in the area where the fight is going to go down. Situational awareness has saved me at least once that I know of.

3 Likes

80s Britain was shit-scared of ninjas. It was a weird time.

3 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me at all that you could be busted for the keychain but not a handgun.

2 Likes