Woman with wet hair walks outside in the midwest, hair freezes

Me!

(Sigh, I can never post a few words, the BBot
scolds me.
I can feel.it looking over my shoulder…)

Sometimes brevity = clarity

3 Likes

Y’know what?

I changed my mind; let fully grown, mentally-stable people who think they are so damn resilient wander around glibly in subzero weather all they like. No frozen skin off my nose.

5 Likes

It’s got to be a indicator of
Bad Ass Syndrome.

2 Likes

I have no idea why, but some people look at it like an endurance challenge.

To wit, white guys who wear shorts in the winter.

5 Likes

I don’t mind that…
they’re usually jogging!

1 Like

Or who do that polar bear plunge in various places…

Maybe it has to do with people who feel like modern society has made us “soft” and they feel like they need to go rough it to be more authentic? I dunno…

4 Likes

Like this gal!

She won the 135 mile ultramarathon in MinneSOta yesterday. She averaged 2.8 miles per hour for 48 hrs!! I believe it never got above zero.

9 Likes

Childhood favorite the duelling elements.

5 Likes

Too Much!

3 Likes

That was the best part!! I could hardly stop watching, just to see the genuine enjoyment on her face. Reminds me of having silly fun with housemates, all kinds of silly fun over just about anything you could imagine. Bonus that they recorded it and we can enjoy their enjoyment. :heart:

8 Likes

Is that a thing? I don’t believe that’s a thing.

She was trying out for a Japanese bosozoku gang.

Yes I know it’s cold I just went outside in -5 to put out my garbage in a t-shirt. Because millennials normalized tshirts at all times, no matter the weather.

I’m not trying to posture I’m just saying growing up in Pennsylvania we had plenty of days in Winter that were negative temperatures down to -10, and a lot more snow then we get anymore. My Governor declared a national state of emergency and I got all of one inch of snow in my driveway in Pittsburgh.

I think simultaneously climate change is happening but reaction to it is becoming exacerbated depending on where you live and what you see. Between what I’ve seen and seen abroad in Sapporo in winter my view is skewed, but it’s quite obvious that even some people here are getting hit harder than others

My daughter and I are to the part in one of the Little House books (it’s when they’re living in De Smet, ND) where they talk about the temp going down to -40 and then the thermometer freezing. The ride back to town where the breath froze on the horses’ noses and they had to periodically stop and thaw it off so the horses could breathe. The next day being -20 so the “cold snap” was over.
I’m trying to provide some context for her since we had our second snow day in a row due to single digit temps and wind.

4 Likes

Bosozuku? Pfft. Small hair and tiny shoes.

She was clearly going for the Leningrad Cowboys look.

7 Likes

yup, I remember showering then walking from my dorm to the cafeteria during high school, perhaps 30 yards, and having my hair frosted by the time I got to breakfast.

… aw come on, I guess she just wanted to look cool

2 Likes

5 Likes

I think the prevalence of shorts-wearing guys has something to do with skipping laundry day.

3 Likes

10 Likes

It’s up to 11ºF today, warm enough to have dropped a few more inches of snow overnight. I know for a fact I will see at least a few young people in shorts…because they CAN.

The one thing I haven’t seen anyone else say yet, which is the true danger to the girl in the video: it is very easy to break off hair when it’s frozen like that. Instant (unwanted) haircut!

6 Likes