Wonderful box set of handmade occult 'zines about alchemy, magick, and high weirdness

Originally published at: Wonderful box set of handmade occult 'zines about alchemy, magick, and high weirdness | Boing Boing

1 Like

For a while my spouse and I collected zines that included information about vegan cooking, gardening, urban homesteading, diy, making, etc… because that interested us and there were often weird tips or recipes or techniques that were worth trying. Often there were buy 3, get 2 free, or 10 for the price of 1. If we couldn’t find subjects we directly needed, we bought zines on (to quote Janine Melnitz from Ghostbusters* UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis?*

The search for zines lead us to book stores, coffee houses, bodegas, botanicas, and street vendors that we never would have visited, had there not been a quest. (If you haven’t visited a bookstore run by an anarchist collective- do so.)

Many of them were like listing to Art Bell or an old episode of In Search Of, that had text that was based on “theory” and conjecture and presented ideas that were not widely accepted. We would not have learned about the term “human ore” had it not been for a zine. I think my spouse’s first attempt at making seitan came from a recipe/essay on the subject. We’ve held onto most of them, even after a few moves. We are looking forward to our kids finding them on the bookshelf, as I am sure they will encourage conversation between us.

7 Likes

Love the idea of Paracelsus peddling a Hermetic zine. A sort of Cypher Punk.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.