Woody Allen: "I should be the poster boy for the #MeToo movement."

I think we can all agree that if #MeToo has a poster, it should not be a boy who is on that poster.

4 Likes

Hat tip to you. You legit made me snort my tea. At work no less!

5 Likes

What, you mean that folks should quit trying to derail and marginalize the actual topic at hand?

I’m all for that.

You are not alone, there.

The problem is that some people seem to want to defend Allen from the accusations that have repeatedly been made against him; instead of addressing why Allen’s attention-seeking efforts to piggyback off the MeToo movement isn’t even remotely ‘okay.’

Yeah, if someone’s only gauge for bad behavior is “it’s not illegal” that’s a pretty low fucking bar.

17 Likes

So he was more like an uncle?

That’s not helping him.

11 Likes

Yeah he did, and I am not aware of evidence it was not consensual, nor that anything happened before the age of consent. I’m not going to attack somebody for sexual behavior which is legal and consenting, even if I think it’s squicky.

The allegations re: Dylan are of course a different story if true.

1 Like

Why can’t some of these celebrities and politicians just shut up. Just. Shut. Up.

6 Likes

I imagine many do have their lips sealed shut on these matters, while hoping and praying that no one else starts talking about all the shit they’ve put women through.

13 Likes

Denial ain’t a river in Egypt, pal.

4 Likes

I think Moses’ letter is convincingly written, and addresses precisely this specific (among other claims). The tone he offers his mother and Dylan at the end stand in stark contrast with Ronan’s “Nuh-uh! I’m on the other team!” Of course, neither eloquence nor its lack = truthfulness. Moses’ letter addresses a number of factual specifics that call Dylan’s testimony into question, and details serious abuse at the hands of his mother; that plus the suicides of two siblings makes me think his narrative is not so easily dismissed.

1 Like

Alternative interpretation: we all weak and stupid by degrees. So compassion, yeah?

1 Like

Frankly, I think everyone in that family is suspect and their word isn’t to be trusted at face value.

Stockholm syndrome is a helluva drug.

I believe Dylan Farrow because various other people corroborated witnessing his creepy-ass behavior towards her back when it actually happened.

13 Likes

It would probably be a more accurate comparison if you were a police office who’d never shot a black person in your professional capacity, but shot your black kids…

1 Like

At least you said “effectively.”

People have been saying “he married his daughter!” about Woody Allen for as long as I can remember and I only found out a couple years ago she wasn’t related to him biologically, by adoption, OR by marriage.

ETA: Well, I guess she is related to him by marriage now.

3 Likes

No matter who you believe it is a matter of public record that Woody Allen married a woman who was effectively his stepdaughter.

That’s not the least bit true. From the Moses article:

“Even people who doubt Dylan’s claims of assault, often cling to Woody’s relationship with Soon-Yi as justification for their skepticism about him. The public attacks on Soon-Yi by complete strangers still stagger me, as does the general misinformation that so many people consider fact. She is not Woody’s daughter (adopted, step, or otherwise), nor is she developmentally challenged. (She got a master’s degree in special education from Columbia University!) And the claim that they started dating while she was underage is totally false.”

4 Likes

It was brave and loving of Moses Farrow to write that. The rest of the Farrows aren’t particularly happy with him and it seems clear that, with the exception of Mia, he’s still quite fond of his siblings and cares for them.

The preponderance of evidence strongly supports Moses Farrow’s viewpoint. Mia has a long, yucky, well-documented history of abuse of various kinds and a sketchy understanding of truth and justice. And there’s no evidence that Woody has ever been more than a lovely, doting father to his kids . . . with the exception of the Soon-Yi affair.

(The one thing that gives me pause is that Ronan Farrow still supports Mia. He seems like a fairly level-headed guy and I don’t see how he could read Moses’s essay and not reconsider his support for Mia. Maybe he will.)

And all that said . . . there’s no evidence that Allen has ever abused a movie star he’s worked with but . . . the relationships portrayed in his movies aren’t exactly good role models and, doh, it’s just plain stupid for him to suggest that he’s a #metoo role model.

3 Likes

Woody Allen marrying a 17 year old at age 61 is hella creepy, and it seems unlikely he their relationship began then. See: grooming. (Math error.)

Irrespective of that though, I believe Dylan Farrow that she was molested by her adoptive father. You want to talk about agency, try starting there.

Lastly, one abusive parent doesn’t cancel out another.

That was my first impression of the headline as well. I still have some faith in humanity to stomp out.

Maybe especially the father, as the betrayal is that much sicker.

When I first saw this headline I thought: Holy shit, Woody Allen is taking responsibility! Nope, turns out to be the opposite. I shoulda known.

In my later 20’s I dated someone 13 years older than me. But there’s far more difference between 17 and 25 than 28 and 41. Illegal? Not in some states. Creepy as hell? Addayup! Did it start when he married her at 17? For anyone who believes that, I have a bridge in San Francisco I’d like to sell them.

Poster boy for #MeToo? Fucker should crawl back into his hole and hope his investigative reporter son doesn’t put the limelight on him.

I’m pretty much okay with Dylan and Ronan Farrow. They seem to be survivors despite their parents. This may be naive of me.

4 Likes

Woody Allen marrying a 17 year old at age 61 is hella creepy, and it seems unlikely he their relationship began then. See: grooming.

If Woody Allen had ever done that, yes, that would be bad. But it appears to me that your entire argument is based on a mathematical error. She was 27 when they got married, not 17.

Weird and kind of creepy, maybe. Grooming a child for abuse, no. She was in her early twenties when they began a relationship. You want to infantilize her why? Simple mistake?

Lay off Soon-Yi. She got enough abuse from her adoptive mother, she doesn’t need yours. She’s been married to Woody Allen for twenty-one years now. They both have grey hair now. Is it time to let it go?

4 Likes

Yup, you’re right. She was 27. Math mistake. Don’t give a crap about that then.

Not the part about his abusing Dylan Farrow.

Do you imagine she reads Boing Boing comments? I’m going with no. Anyway, I didn’t criticize her. I criticized her husband who abused his adoptive daughter and then has the gall to claim he’s a poster boy for the #MeToo movement (and not in the sense in which he actually is).

3 Likes

Here you assert as fact that Woody Allen abused his adoptive daughter. That has not been established as fact. It is an allegation, which did not meet the legal standard of evidence when it was made.

I refer you again to the statement of Woody Allen and Mia Farrow’s other adoptive child, Moses Farrow, who was fourteen years old and present at the time of the alleged abuse. He states it did not happen and could not have happened as Mia/Dylan said it did, citing numerous factual impossibilities (e.g. there was never a train set in the unfinished attic).

The most probable truth seems that Mia Farrow, in a fit a of rage because not only had Woody Allen begun an affair with her adopted daughter, he had filed for custody of their children on the grounds she was an abusive mother, invented the allegations and coached Dylan to believe them as part of her custody battle.

When Soon-Yi Previn admitted to her adoptive mother that she had begun an affair with Woody Allen, Mia Farrow beat the hell out of her, hitting her multiple times, tearing her clothes off, breaking a chair over her, etc.

Why is it that every time someone says Woody Allen’s name, they say “Child abuser Woody Allen,” but every time they say Mia Farrow they don’t say “Child abuser Mia Farrow?” There is more evidence for the latter.

3 Likes

I already said I believe Dylan Farrow and this isn’t a court of law. Whether or not you believe her is your choice.

Beyond that, I’m not interested in speculation or conspiracy theories.

Already addressed this. False dichotomy. Both parents can be abusers.

4 Likes