Worker surreptitiously ate $9,200 worth of deli meat, reports grocery

Great, now I’ll have Geto Boys in my head all morning… not complaining!

5 Likes

Almost $11/lb for turkey? $12/lb for chicken? Do you work at an artisinal handcrafted deli on an island or something? $3/lb is expensive for sliced turkey around here.

5 Likes

Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.

Deut. 25:4

28 Likes

I had a “friend” that worked at Carls Jr in high school. They gave decent discounts, 50% off retail 30 minutes before, during and after your shift, and 20% all other times for your whole party. But man, if you so much ogled a french fry (frispo, the dried mush, remember those?) with intent to pop it into your mouth without paying for it, they’d cry THIEF and fire your ass. Probably want to press charges, too. I mean, really? We did throw out a lot of food, but we probably served a lot of food we probably shouldn’t have, too.

They were, IMO, cheap bastards. You want lettuce and tomato? Twenty cents each. You want to hold the lettuce and tomato on a burger that came with it? Sorry, no discount.

Not sure how I, re, my friend, did that for almost a year and a half.

EDIT: typo

9 Likes

In my starving artist days I worked the restaurant trade specifically because it guaranteed food in addition to long hours and a shitty wage.

19 Likes

NYC cost of living :frowning: I can qualify for low income housing here, but could buy a McMansion in parts of the country. I buy and “butcher” rotisserie chickens for sandwiches now, much cheaper as they tend to be a loss-leader…

12 Likes

At the local grocery store deli counter, customers are automatically given a slice to much on of anything they buy. If you say ‘no thanks’, the deli guys often eat it themselves. I thought munching on bits of meat was commonplace for any deli workers.

15 Likes

There’s a Spanish deli near me that seemingly exists just so the boss can stand there all day peacefully chowing down on ham.

7 Likes

Yeah. Parma prosciutto can go for up to $29.99.

1 Like

News flash, they did not pay her enough to actually buy food.

7 Likes

Loss prevention is a pretty interesting industry to follow. Lot’s of “Stealing is stealing no matter what” types in the business, and they get serious hardons going after internal LP, pushing statistics like “70% of shrink is internal”, not mentioning the fact that upper level managers embezzling millions seriously skew that statistic. Workers taking more than 2 breaks and a lunch per 8 hour shift? Crucify them!

Older LP dudes bragging about the good old days when they could beat up shoplifters and the cops not pressing charges on one of the boards I follow last week.

10 Likes

pic looked more like meatloaf

3 Likes

When I worked at Kmart in high school, we had a miniature Little Caesar’s inside the store and got decent employee discounts on the pizza. At the end of the day they’d wheel all of the unsold pizza out onto the loading dock, guarded by a manager to make sure nobody took any, and he’d supervise them dumping it directly into the box crusher. I don’t know why they were so hard-ass about crummy Little Caesar’s pizza, but it was a firing offense to take a single slice.

8 Likes

If you wanted a few slices of samples every day Giant Eagle (or any other grocery store) would supply them to you. I fail to see how it’s a loss because an employee nibbled a couple.

3 Likes

Well. Unfortunately the law would say that it is theft if you take business supplies without express permission. So this grocery store is in the right legally even if wrong from a common sense stand point.

1. Are they working out the value from retail or wholesale? Preventing a store from making $5 by stealing an item that cost them $1 does not in my mind constitute a theft “worth” $5.

2. How is this being spoken about in the language of a felony, and not a series of thousands of discrete misdemeanors?

8 Likes

I like the idea of a store having a food taster before it gets to me.

18 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever had a job where, in one way or another, there wasn’t some sanctioned and unsanctioned use of the products being sold/used.

3 Likes

Is this worker doing something wrong? Thank God I chose a different career path because if I worked at a deli I would be taking home pounds of filet mignon and roast beef on top of the occasional slice of meat or cheese that I’m slicing!!! I guess that might be frowned upon lol…are they at least allowed to eat the week-old meat shavings caught in the crevices of the slicer or is it strict company policy to throw all extras away?

I’ve never worked at a deli but I imagine that the amount of meat that is thrown away each day is probably orders of magnitude higher.

I’m trying to imagine some fraught business owner staying up late going over spreadsheets, trying to figure out why their deli isn’t turning a profit. “It’s almost as if three to five slices of ham a day just disappear without a trace!”

17 Likes