World Politics

What the kid was doing is the kind of offence that in most countries is treated with kid gloves. I was just posting on an Irish politics thing to a guy who had multiple offences with no licence and who had already told the judge that he was going to continue driving without a licence. Because of the privileged position car driving and the crimes you do with it holds in Irish society, particularly among the judge class, instead of being held in contempt of court the case was suspended for four months to give him time to take his test.

This boy was shot. I’m pretty sure popo turn a blind eye to that (the driving offence) for the “right” kind of people in France too (rural, white) and this was straight up selective murder by the cops.

Police violence has been a huge problem in France. It does seem to be worse than most places. That’s the impression we get anyway.

4 Likes

BBC News - Eight-year election ban for Brazil’s Bolsonaro

6 Likes

I was reminded of this, which also says that France hasn’t made any progress on this issue for the last 30 years:

5 Likes

I’m getting that sense, too.

I appreciate the additional context from a neighboring country! It helps to understand what’s happening a bit better.

I’m not sure I’ve seen that, but will see if I can track it down!

4 Likes

The same guy who blamed ‘cancel culture’ for France’s societal problems and pushed for extreme phone bans in their schools?

3 Likes
3 Likes

The only video game here is the one where cops claim they didn’t do anything wrong, but footage of them killing defenseless children causes the public to blame them. FTFY, Macron. I’m glad to see more use of tech to get the word out and organize protests in an environment where leaders ignore the need for change. :fist:t4:

Black Lives Matter Blm GIF by INTO ACTION

8 Likes

I haven’t kept up with French slang but I was struck how they called the coppers pigs in the footage I shared rather than “cows” like they did in la haine which is 25? years old or so?

Don’t know if this is representative as I really don’t have any information on the street in France as I might have had back then.

2 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

:sob:

4 Likes
8 Likes
2 Likes