World Politics

4 Likes

(Reuters reprint)

Canada’s corporate ethics watchdog said on Tuesday it was investigating Ralph Lauren’s Canada unit to probe allegations the apparel retailer’s supply chain and operations in China used or benefited from the use of Uyghur forced labor.

The Canadian Ombudsperson for Responsible Enterprise (CORE) said it had published an initial assessment report after complaints filed by a coalition of 28 civil society organizations in June 2022 against the Polo shirts maker.

CORE said the report published detailed allegations the company had supply relationships with Chinese companies that use or benefit from the use of Uyghur forced labor.

3 Likes
3 Likes

The fuck?

7 Likes

China also has a problem with young people refusing to participate in its brutal rat race and instead stay at home in poverty instead. Obviously it’s a vague and ill defined malaise and therefore difficult to quantify meaningfully, but I do believe it is a thing. The younger brother of a friend of mine was one of those people that they talk about. I guess they didn’t put “gave up on life” on his death certificate though.

I mean they probably put heart failure, because that’s on nearly all of them! It’s not like we could expect “despair driven by the ruthless expectations of dog eat dog capitalism with Chinese characteristics” on a cert.

6 Likes

But… but… AMERICA is the only real racist place! /s

4 Likes
3 Likes

If Mr. Trump is in a pickle, what can we say about Mr. Bolsonaro? After 4 years of braggery, He is cornered and anxious.

ETA

5 Likes
3 Likes
10 Likes
2 Likes

https://www.axios.com/chinese-communist-party-training-school-africa

DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania — The Chinese Communist Party is teaching African leaders its authoritarian alternative to democracy at its first overseas training school — the strongest evidence yet that Beijing is exporting its model of governing in its push to challenge the Western-led world order.

Why it matters: The Mwalimu Julius Nyerere Leadership School in Tanzania is Beijing’s counter to efforts by the U.S. and other Western countries to shape African politics in a fight for influence on a continent rich in raw materials and energy. At the school, the CCP teaches how it fuses the ruling political party and the state, marking a clear departure from Beijing’s previous, more subtle attempts to peddle influence on the international stage.

Cultivating an authoritarian-friendly political bloc could help China reshape global institutions and guarantee markets as Western sanctions seek to isolate certain Chinese industries. Such a bloc would also help the CCP deflect criticism for its human rights record and gain international support for its core interests, such as its territorial claims in the South China Sea.

3 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

Fingers crossed it lasts! And the US doesn’t fuck it all up again.

6 Likes

BBC News - Could decriminalisation solve Scotland’s drug problem?

4 Likes

I would love to see the correlation between drug deaths and Northerly latitude. Scotland would still be an outlier, but it is striking how the top list is almost exclusively northern countries.

1 Like
3 Likes

It gets dark up here, so very, very dark.
So we need sprinkles & rainbows.

1 Like

Context

4 Likes