World Politics

8 Likes

Why are we still acting like what’s happening under Modi’s party in India is normal?

9 Likes
4 Likes

I haven’t been for a while, the damage the BJP has done to the judicial system, the laws they’ve passed in the name of security, and things like the use of Pegasus against activists, journalists and political opponents has nearly killed off democracy there…

2 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-08/chile-starts-key-pinera-impeachment-session-with-13-hour-speech

3 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

A warning on this story, it’s graphic.

The NY Post is a Murdoch rag and big Trump supporter. Reporting on Putin’s torture holes is a little surprising.

3 Likes

Yeah. But good on them for this. We need to document and bring this shit to light whereever it exists if we ever want to finally root it all out.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Wow. Book burning? Glad we don’t have that sort of thing in the US.

9 Likes
6 Likes

Sad Peanuts GIF

Shocked Oh No GIF

5 Likes
5 Likes

Putin blames “The West” for the whole mishegas.

3 Likes

Could he cut off the gas? But isn’t this gas Russian? So he wouldn’t end up pissing off poor Putin?

Ah. This kinda answer my question.

4 Likes

If memory serves, Yanukovych in Ukraine did similar.

Putin has disavowed the gas supply threat

I suspect it’s not because Putin has a problem with the idea per se, it’s that his puppet dictator got above himself, exceeded his mandate, and made threats that his master hadn’t authorised.

4 Likes

Shades of Mussolini invading Greece, forcing Hitler to bail him out.

4 Likes

If you’re talking about the winter of '05, yes they did. I was in Moldova at the time, and freezing my ass off with my Moldovan friends.

5 Likes