World Politics

4 Likes
1 Like

I’m often briefly confused by the term “unionism” in the context of Irish politics, since AFAIK everyone in Northern Ireland wants some form of “union”—whether it’s to stay united with Britain or to unite with the rest of Ireland instead :thinking:

3 Likes
4 Likes

John Oliver covered the election right before Marcos won…

4 Likes

In the specific context of Irish politics, Unionism refers to being a part of the UK, whereas Republicanism refers to the desire to rejoin the Republic of Ireland.

(Clarification for other readers. I know you get it).

7 Likes
5 Likes

Great overview, thanks.

And of course I can only echo the opposing vice presidential candidate: “Fuck you, Marcos!”

2 Likes
5 Likes

FUCK THIS SHIT

Vitun vittupäät. I knew this was going to happen but still. Even the Left Allicence won’t leave the cabinet.

1 Like
4 Likes
4 Likes
13 Likes

4 Likes

Well, what a surprise.

1 Like

1 Like

Immediately after Israeli soldiers executed Al-Jazeera reporter Shireen Abu-Akleh and fired at a group of her colleagues, observers began asking how such a horrible thing could happen. Why would Israel murder a journalist well-known throughout the Arab World? A noncombatant wearing appropriate press gear? A high-profile Palestinian with U.S. citizenship? At best, it seemed like a terrible PR move. It didn’t make any sense.

Except it did make sense. In fact, from a certain point of view killing Abu-Akleh was painfully sensible.

7 Likes

According to popular chinese nationalists, China is a great place to reside… the problem is that many of the folks who are posting these messages are doing so from outside of China.

Oops.

6 Likes
11 Likes
1 Like