World Politics

can-you-ever-forgive-me-kidding-me

4 Likes

Some good news on abortion rights on the same day as the horrible news from the US. What timing:

11 Likes

Weird that they are being paranoid about a pro EU/democracy demonstration.

2 Likes

I guess it could be concerns about American citizens getting caught up in the state-backed crack down.

3 Likes
5 Likes

The irony of Fox news calling out bigots is rich.

7 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

season 9 zombie GIF

5 Likes

Happy Cake Day Mindy!!!

Here’s hoping that Russian debt is held by Elon.

5 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

“Erdoğan’s long-standing grievances toward the United States, including Washington’s refusal to sell Turkey F-16 fighter jets and his demand the US extradite a cleric he accuses of cultivating a coup attempt, remain unresolved – and are likely to arise in his meeting with Biden.“

5 Likes

That seems to be soft-peddling the genocidal action and rhetoric happening with the tacit support of the Indian government. Just ginning up more justification for the actions against Muslims. Hundreds of thousands of people are going to die, but they are brown people who follow Islam, so no one cares…

6 Likes

The cycle of eye for an eye has started there, and lots of people are going to end up blind. Most of the blame for this lies on Modhi, but that’s just one entry on a long list of horrible crimes perpetrated on the people of India, his coronavirus response killed millions, maybe even tens of millions, and the list goes on.

3 Likes

The Islamophobia of western media (and I’ll add Australia into that, since it’s “culturally” western) is not new. It’s been posting context free stories of violence at the hands of Muslims for well over a century or so. The way the Palestinian struggle is talked about, or the left-wing shift in the 1950s, or even the “terrible Turk” tropes of the late Ottoman era. The fact that they are leaning on lazy stereotypes of violent Muslims to soft-peddle the language of genocide is only going to lead to a lack of intervention against genocidal action.

7 Likes

Well, they can lean both on the white supremacist angle, and on the Islamic world taking on the role of the Boogeyman after the fall of the USSR more recently, plenty of fertile ground for those seeds of hate :frowning:

I’ve seen some unpleasant deep dives on the BJP, very possibly a scarier phenomenon than MAGA in all honesty. It is more than a bit disingenous to just put the spokesperson’s comments forward as some isolated islamophobic outlier, instead of part of a larger campaign to demonize and other muslems, including laws, not just “spontaneous” outbreaks of violence, and things said by politicians.

What’s scarier is that if this sort of violence ramps up, I don’t think Pakistan is going to sit on its hands…

3 Likes

They are both nuclear powers, too.

6 Likes

Canadian Yes GIF by CBC

That’s the extra scary part…

3 Likes