World Politics

7 Likes

It gets even better.

He actually took five secret Ministerships, and was lying about two of them for most of the morning.

The other two were the Treasury and Homeland Affairs (which is, Federal police, border control, customs, immigration control, that sort of thing). In neither case did he tell those ministers, either.

10 Likes

Is this Scotty-fom-marketing’s idea of LARPing a dictator?

5 Likes

That’s the only explanation anyone can come up with for this, combined with him being too incompetent to actually do anything with the power he was secretly accumulating.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Bollywood films are tanking so bad in the international box office, it’s might affect distribution deals for indian films internationally. Like 10 or so years ago folks were predicting that the indian film market would outpace hollywood.

3 Likes

Floating power plants?

Could the power from the icebreaker fleet floating off Katajanokka in Helsinki be integrated into the public grid in the event of an energy shortage in Europe, paper Maaseudun Tulevaisuus asks.

According to the paper, each of the eight icebreakers has 4-6 diesel engines to run its propellers.

In total, the ships can generate between 100 and 120 megawatts. A microwave oven, for instance, is typically rated at 750 watts, which means the icebreaker’s generator current could power at least 133 thousand microwave ovens, the paper explains.

In theory, the vessels could be utilised in the instance of an energy shortage, but there are some practical challenges, as the ice breakers do not have a ready-made plug from which electricity can be fed into the grid.

The ships’ power plants would also generate electricity by burning diesel oil, which is neither economical nor ecological," Tero Hänninen, Technical Director at Arctia Oy, the company responsible for the icebreakers, told the paper.

“During a hard winter, with severe frosts and lots of ice, the icebreakers would not even be available for energy production. Last winter, for example, almost all of the icebreakers were at sea,” Hänninen said.

Therefore, icebreakers may play a greater role in Finland’s security of supply when they ensure access to ports for cargo ships than when they generate electricity themselves, the paper points out.

8 Likes

Japan is getting desperate for tax revenue…

…but not that desperate.

7 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes

Surprised Rami Malek GIF by Saturday Night Live

6 Likes
7 Likes

I mean, given the outcome of the last election, I wouldn’t be surprised, but also DUP sucks and is pro-brexit, and I think that the anti-Brexit sentiment cut across religious lines. Plus, I think everyone but the hardcore paisley-ites and IRAers are happy with the current arrangement along the border.

5 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

This sounds like a huge thing in the SEA region

8 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes