World Politics

WTF?

11 Likes

Any ketchup on the walls?

7 Likes

I mean, I’d take that over what Bolsonaro apparently did… up to and including possible theft of works of art… At least you can clean up ketchup!

7 Likes
8 Likes

Holy moly:

13 Likes

Gee I wonder where they got that idea?

13 Likes
11 Likes

derry-girls-sister-michael-here-we-go

12 Likes

They destroyed some doors and windows and are clashing with the police. They are promising to invade Brasilia since last week, when their sedition camping parties were demolished by police.

12 Likes

Let’s hope this will end soon. Is congress in session?

I am curious about why now, though? Especially since Bolsonaro is not here. Perhaps that’s part of the reason why today?

10 Likes

But it’s January 8! Nobody should have been able to figure it out!

12 Likes

No. They aren´t reunited today. I think is such a good reason to stage a putsch today. Maybe they thought that there weren´t many cops there. Another reason is that the right and the extreme right love to hold demonstrations on Sundays, because according to them, those who protest during the week are people who do not work and live on an allowance from leftist parties, from China, Cuba, the United States or other communist countries.

I think that raising money to take thousands of people to Brasilia takes time. The organizers of these demonstrations had to pay the protesters’ salaries, their meals, rent buses, distribute T-shirts and weapons. This doesn’t happen overnight.

Bolsonaro left the country precisely to claim that he has nothing to do with it as he is visiting American personalities like Goofy and Mickey Mouse.

For the past two weeks the narrative being played out in far-right circles is that they have been betrayed by politicians and the military and that only a massive show of force could save the country from communism. People’s indignation is being carefully fed and these initiatives are not organic. I think the term you guys use is astroturf.

15 Likes

January 6th was a friday. Nobody would invade the Capital in a friday. Besides it was “Dia De Reis”, the day that Christmas decorations are traditionally removed. These people must have been busy.

Jokes aside, Brasilia is very far from other Brazilian capitals, which are mostly on the coast. Bringing in all these people demands a certain logistical effort, which can only be achieved after an extremist political propaganda effort on social networks.

16 Likes

Makes sense. Very much like Jan. 6th here it seems - although in that case, Trump wanted to lead the charge. Interesting seeing the very different approaches that Bolsonaro and Trump have had there.

But is the congress in session today or not?

7 Likes

I sure hope the police’s baton weilding arms aren’t too sore.

4 Likes

There was once a president called Jânio Quadros. He resigned in 1961, hoping the people would take the streets and beg for his comeback. Mahybe this the strategy of Mr. Bolsonaro. He is playing inocent and just waiting for the coup without him.

No. They aren´t. I read that the original plan of the vandals was camping inside the congress till Mr. Lula was arrested and Mr. Bolsonaro returned triumphant from the Disneyland. The neswpapers are saying the terrorists invaded the Congress, the Supreme Court and the Planalto, the presidential palace, the workplace of the President. They wre threatening to create havoc in the streets of Brasilia. But it seems that the police did not prepare for this eventuality. Worse, some people are accusing the Federal District police of complacency.

9 Likes

Going for them all at once… I hope that they get stopped…

8 Likes

All these places are very close to each other. You can easily walk from the congress to Planalto and the Supreme Court,

I think that more than a coup d’état itself, this is a kind of psychological operation, to demonstrate strength, manipulate the population and set the stage for something bigger. Bolsonarist groups on social networks, for example, are threatening to invade oil refineries and fuel distribution centers to force a stop in economic activities.

9 Likes

Yeah, seems very likely, given the context you’ve shared here.

Same tactics being used by the far right here, too.

7 Likes

It makes one wonder if is there a seditionist playbook…

9 Likes