World Politics

FFS

10 Likes

I believe it actually works the other way around but, you know, management gurus and facts and all that…

4 Likes

In fairness, @BakaNeko did write “myth.” This is a myth that happens to be false.

ETA: This is a disturbing part of the article, tbh:

In 1869, while doing experiments searching for the location of the soul, German physiologist Friedrich Goltz demonstrated that a frog that has had its brain removed will remain in slowly heated water, but an intact frog attempted to escape the water when it reached 25 °C.

7 Likes

“Attention! Attention! We are not Nazis.” -Far Right Wing Israeli Leader

Are We The Baddies GIFs | Tenor

https://archive.ph/UPa5G

11 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

Can’t wait to read a ton of articles about the Matamoras moonies :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Lula’s people ain’t fucking around

(Yahoo reprint)

13 Likes

They really just want to go back to pre-Oslo, to justify ethnic cleansing the Palestinians out of “greater Israel”…

I don’t know what else their goal could be here, other than that.

9 Likes

11 Likes

Bet you Iraq doesn’t…

13 Likes

Latin tour

13 Likes
7 Likes

Right? Good lord.

Instances of empire-like fuckery by the US faaaaar outweigh instances of “exported democracy.” Has the US ever genuinely done the latter?

As for Brazil, I dont trust Biden and Co. to be at all genuinely interested in what good Lula’s trying to do for the Brazilian people. They’re no different when it comes to undercutting any genuine threat south of the US border to neoliberal capitalism.

9 Likes

Yeah my first reaction to the cartoon was that it was mis-captioned.

“I miss the old days when we at least pretended to export democracy.”

9 Likes
10 Likes

In before the pearl clutchers arrive, clutching their pearls over how humanity is gonna disappear and women need to get back to pumping out at least 10 kids over the course of their lives, because 8 billion people on this rock just isn’t enough…

Of course, the actual problem there is that China has an old population, and already the current population was having problems taking care of their elderly (ironic for a culture known for their reverence of elders). But having a bunch of babies right now won’t fix that… Immigration, however, might.

13 Likes

Oh, I don’t think the worry is about humanity. It’s about who is the majority.

ETA: I’m sure some conservative pols are glad to see news like this…the ghouls:

8 Likes

Oh sure… Good point! But this is the line they push… so, more likely, given that, they’ll ignore this, or celebrate it… And turn their “concerns” on India…

6 Likes

Except that now everyone is competing for the same immigrants. Also, luring smart, motivated people out of economies that are on the brink of professional health, particularly economies with nuclear weapons and active spy recruitment programs, might be contributing to other problems. :thinking:

Edit: Also, perhaps :cn: 's COVID death toll is higher than ~65,000. Eyeballing that graph from Reuters, it looks like 13m people are missing, which makes my very rough estimate of 5.4m :cn: COVID deaths look low. COVID may have shrunk the birth rate by about a million births a year (back of the envelope), but that’s only 2 to 3m of that. If COVID is responsible for the population drop then the numbers are going to skew to the elderly.

9 Likes