World-record NFL player says self-righteous passenger tried to kick him off plane, claiming "higher status"

Originally published at: World-record NFL player says self-righteous passenger tried to kick him off plane, claiming "higher status" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Just upon reading the headline:

15 Likes

Yep, which is why I’m not wondering why the amateur physician just assumed his airline status was higher…

7 Likes

‘I’m sure if you check our status, my status is higher than his.’"

Wait, what… is status a real thing on airliners? Or just some made up elitist bullshit?

7 Likes

It’s a real thing.

It’s not really something that sensible people boast about(though it does entitle you to some specific perks from the airline and it is unlikely to hurt your odds if either a million-miler or some rando are going to get bumped); since it normally means “I have a job that, while likely white collar, isn’t hotshot enough to get me out of doing a soul crushing amount of travel every year”; rather than “I am a cool jet-setter”.

9 Likes

My husband used to be platinum for a hotel chain that was bought by a huge hotel chain. He used to joke that they had to find him a room even if that meant that they needed to kick another customer out of their room.

It was a joke.

Status helps with certain things like upgrades, but you can’t get peole kicked out of their rooms or off planes.

The dude is a racist dumbass.

15 Likes

I’m a construction worker but I fly occasionally on union business and for some political volunteering. Enough to get me Gold status on one of Canada’s mid-tier airlines last year until they decided to make it harder to qualify for.

It got me free draft beer and box wine in the lounges at some of the larger airports, and free checked bags (which I get on the credit card anyway). I never thought to exercise my throw-the-coughing-guy-off-the-plane-while-midair card. I’m wondering if the ejection button would have been a real physical button, or just one in software on an iPad. I’m disappointed I didn’t ask before they cancelled my status.

7 Likes

Lifetime AAPLT and current AAEXP/CK…that guy is a jag. People with real status on an airline, the type that could actually get a pax moved, never, ever pull this move. If this guy even had Gold, I’d be suprised.

Such small dick energy.

6 Likes

NOT ONE COUGH DURING THAT ENTIRE VIDEO.

Just Saying Come On GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

5 Likes

See! It’s far more satisfying with an actual pushbutton.

4 Likes

In case anyone else is curious like I was, Howard holds the NFL record for most punt return yards in a single season at 875 in 1996, which I guess makes that a world record too if you don’t count the Canadian Football Leauge’s higher numbers.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.