World's surliest grilled cheese cart

Where is this going to be located? I’d try this for the novelty of it.

1 Like

User name checks out.

2 Likes

I think you vastly underappreciated that professor, honestly.

Ah, that explains it. We are all unbearable at that age.

“Is graphic design art?” is a worthy question, if only because it generally leads to even more interesting ones like, “If graphic design is/isn’t art, what does that mean for the way we societally define art? What about our society has led to that classification?” And to be fair, I wasn’t at the time equipped to grapple with those, and that course was part of what gave me the tools to eventually converse about them.

BUT I maintain you have to be a special kind of tool to stand in front of 30 graphic designers (seriously, the class was about 90% designers, I think the aforementioned sculpture major may have been the only “fine” artist) being forced to listen to you and say, “your work is less artistically valuable because it’s too accessible to the plebs (I.e. not advancing the avant-garde of capital-a Art) and you’re probably only doing it for money (change my mind.jpg).”

5 Likes

If that was delivered deadly seriously and not as a way to get the thoughts moving then yes, absolutely toolworthy. That kind of maxim helps nobody.

2 Likes

Looks like a 'shoop to me. Note how the black color of the letters is not reflected in any way on the counter supports? The seam on the door is a nice touch but… I can just tell be the pixels OK!!!

The idea is great and it would fit right in with Portland’s food truck scene (haven’t been to SF south of market in a while, but bet it’d do well there too - mb sell some $55 t-shirts (no change given, no fucks given, getthfugouttahere!)

I’ve been experimenting with putting cheese on the outside surfaces as well as the inside…

1 Like

Your speakers might have a problem. Try turning them up to 11.

One thought i have, and i haven’t really put that much into it, would be to somehow poke holes in the bread that are large enough to get the cheese to naturally flow out of the sandwich when being cooked (but not too big). That way you get some bits flowing to the outside and browning :thinking:

1 Like

There’s a place near me that does sandwiches “in a skirt” – they cover it with several slices of cheese that overlap the sides by a few inches, so when it’s griddled, it browns and crisps into a cheese crust. It’s kind of glorious.

cheeseskirt-squeezeinn

8 Likes

When I talk with people who aspire to open businesses, I always ask them if they’ve calculated how many of [product] they have to sell in order to make the living they want. This is a good value proposition for the customer, but it’s terrible for the vendor.

7 Likes

I’ve seen those and i have nothing against that execution, i was trying to think of a way to get some of the gooeyness and browning without having to drape cheese outside the sammich. Would eat the hell out one those though.

Another alternative that just popped into my head but related to my previous comment would be to bake a loaf that ends up with a lot of air pockets inside. That would make every slice a bit more random on the distribution of where the cheese melts into and you avoid having to constantly poke holes in slices.

Serving it without Campbell’s tomato soup is criminal given the purpose and nostalgia he’s drawing from. Plus I always put pickles in mine, not tomato.

2 Likes

I am fully on board with a $1 grilled cheese truck, and (because I don’t have kids) I’m happy if that’s all he sells, and I enjoy grudging service, and it’s fine if it’s American “cheese” on generic white bread

BUT

the fact he also wants to wear all these things as a knowing brand inverts the whole proposition into something terrible and obnoxious. If you have so much love for this sort of operation, how come you can’t bear the idea of anyone mistaking you for the genuine article? If this was parked next to someone trying to support themselves selling good, big empanadas or whatever for $5, I would feel actively rude buying this $1 performance art sandwich in front of them.

2 Likes

That often involves ground beef, though, and ground beef on pizza is a big “never, never, yuck yuck yuck” thing for me.

1 Like

As the freak kid who always turned down the tomato soup,* and just wanted the sandwich, to the perplexity of friend’s parents, I have no problem with its absence here.

*One of the three tomato things I don’t like, along with half-cooked grilled tomatoes and Eastern-European-style plain-ass tomato sauce such as the kind that they always ruin cabbage rolls with. As someone of Slavic extraction, I was always a big scandal at family events when I’d be scraping that shit off while opining (only if really, really pushed about why I was doing it, not unprovoked, I swear) that the only people to really get tomato sauce right were the Italians (it’s worthless and bleh without onions & peppers & herbs like organo & basil), or more specifically, Italian-Americans.

4 Likes

Open a $1 tomato soup cart next to them!

3 Likes

Once I ate all the skirt first and had to take the burger home because the cheese filled me up. The original Squeezei-In was just down the street from me.

2 Likes

Damn.

I really do miss the old Austin.

:cry:

3 Likes

Welsh Rabbit with a dash of Lea & Perrins.

Mmmmm

1 Like