World's surliest grilled cheese cart

I wonder what kind of wrath I would face if I tried paying with a dollar coin.

2 Likes

From my 40-something standpoint, it totally does, and I’d have fun writing an essay about the substance of the chair or whatever. From an impatient-college-freshman-with-no-tolerance-for-BS standpoint, I decided I’d much rather get into a British History class instead. (Which I did, and was terrific)

9 Likes

Typical foodsevice markup is 200% ingredients price to cover overhead; depreciation on the trailer, licenses, misc supplies, etc. So if you can bring the ingredients cost down to $0.33, you should be able to turn approximately a 10% profit margin. Your limitation is going to be how many sammiches per hour you can produce with a trailer-based griddle. At 1 sammich per minute average, you’re still only profiting $6.00/hour. Double that and you’re bringing in $12.00/hr, but hey, at least you’re not working for anyone else.

5 Likes

Totally fair enough!

6 Likes

Margarine smokes hotter than butter as well, meaning you can churn sandwiches out faster since the toasting is hotter.

5 Likes

Just roll down to where this guy is with a stack of ones. Get people to venmo you money and give them dollar bills. How do you make money doing this? The answer is… volume.

1 Like

Yev Kassem may want to give DD a call re the subtlties of serving while seriously surly.

2 Likes

Product Management. Extra credit for scope creep.

3 Likes

Veggie burritos, $1. A small bit of heaven right there.

2 Likes

The cafeteria savior for me was the chopped hard-boiled egg and the chopped celery on the salad cart and the mayo in the sandwich area. Egg salad sandwiches saved my life.

4 Likes

The professor was trying to prep you for our modern political climate I see.

5 Likes

I tend to have these kinds of philosophical debates with myself all the time so for me this would be fun to be honest. I wouldn’t want to pay for such a class but if i had to take an elective i it was available i would be inclined to take it. Ideally though i would want the teacher to not be full of themselves and be pretentious, for me that would kill the whole thing as there clearly wouldn’t be a point to the class beyond intellectual masturbation. I’ve taken art classes that were like that and i hated the teacher so much.

1 Like

Your video doesn’t play for me, but I assume it’s just really loud.

3 Likes

It’s OK to be wrong.

7 Likes

I had to take an art-specific critical analysis class and the instructor was every single bit the kind of tool you’d expect to be teaching a class that was 50% “but what IS art, really?” and 50% “here are various ways to navel-gaze about art you will encounter frequently.” Showed tubgirl (this was… several years ago) to discuss the value of ugliness. Asked a sculpture major, in front of the whole class, whether they had considered the phallic connotations of the work in their portfolio. Tried to convince 30 graphic design majors that our work wasn’t “real” art. Everyone in the program loathed every second we spent on that course.

I’m still mad that it turned out to be one of the most important and influential classes in my entire education.

8 Likes

Will a surly bread cat do?

8 Likes

That was really the crux of it – intellectual exercises are fun, but the prof came off as so pretentious right off the bat, before even greeting us or handing out a syllabus, that it sort of told me what sort of class this would be. As a brand new college student I wanted nothing to do with any faux-intellectual BS. Of course, three years later, and I was doing a minor in comparative religion and taking a class in new-age philosophy and women’s studies (as the only guy in the class).

8 Likes

I certainly don’t mind being challenged on stuff like… Is graphic design art? But totally get you on that kind of teacher, had a couple of those myself… Not quite that bad but almost.

5 Likes

It’s an old SNL skit: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/first-citiwide-bank-change-ii/n9703

2 Likes

I have a Fine Art degree (did I waste my life?), so this hits me right in the nostalgia feels, but fortunately most of the lecturers were more “Ah, all art’s a bit bollocks really, isn’t it?” Unless they were bored.

8 Likes