Worst. Album. Covers. Ever

the back. Journey had some good front covers.

1 Like

“Narrated by Ricardo Montalban”!

80s thrash has LOTS of bad cover-art. Voivod are good for that kinda thing (and for being Voivod, obviously).

1 Like

I need to hear this record.

“Music by Randall S. Newman”

???

Randy Newman?

Sorry, didn´t mean to reply to you.

1 Like

Unfortunately, whomever curated this list doesn’t seem to have the breadth of musical exposure to know a joke when they see one. The “Frivolous Five” album cover is clearly a parody:

vs.

4 Likes

Nothing more to add.

1 Like

Awesome but some of these are parodies of other covers. Like the Frivolous Five is making fun of this Herb Alpert album:

I love this, for what vidja games has become (and it has Eminence Front), but this cover is cheeseballs

Leberkäs’ Hawaii is a (non-musical) comedy program.

Leberkäse is a traditional meat product in the German-speaking countries. English explanations commonly involve the phrase “bologna loaf”.

In mid-century German cuisine “Hawaii” meant “with pineapple (and often cheese)”.

So the whole thing is meant to be a provincial culinary disaster striving for low-rent exotic appeal.

Lesbian Concentrate is a legend.

Anita Bryant was pushing orange juice as well as pushing anti-lesbian and anti-gay hate campaigns. So lesbian concentrate against orange juice concentrate. I think Olivia Records was still getting hit by the anti-trans boycott at the same time they were standing against the anti-lesbian and anti-gay hate campaigns here.

2 Likes

If you take out the ones that are just low budget, those that are “intentionally metal”, the ones which look passé (was cool back then but not now) and the “foreigners are funny because they are different” or “religious people are funny” ones, there isn’t much left.

1 Like

Is that Stephen Fry?

1 Like

1 Like

ya, a lot of that site’s choices seemed pretty tame to me, too

what’s bad about that Roger Troutman cover, anyhow? It’s not very good, but it’s hardly even unusual, particularly for it’s day. There’s at least three kickass tracks on that LP, BTW.

Why would we take out the “religious people are funny” ones? Religious people are funny. Or at least they do funny things, like creating absurd album covers.

There’s accordion players.

3 Likes

Yeah… kinda agree. But the insides are well worth it IMO.