Would anything stop Ted Cruz from pulling this dirty trick to prevent Biden from being sworn in?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/16/would-anything-stop-ted-cruz-from-pulling-this-dirty-trick-to-prevent-biden-from-being-sworn-in.html

3 Likes

My worry is still that Pence gets to announce the result of the count of electoral college votes. And the winner is… I mean, he is a flaming arsehole, why not?

2 Likes

306x2 hours each = 612 hours, which is effectively a filibuster. Mitch would invoke rule 22 on cloture to cap the total debate to 30 additional hours and force a vote. He isn’t powerless here. I hate being forced to thought-exercise this and defend McTurtle. He’s awful.

Here is further reading on cloture:

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/RS/98-425

10 Likes

Let’s see, some relief after electoral votes submitted lasted all of 72 hours. Now more handwringing until Jan 6.

10 Likes

aka Koch University.

eta: I don’t know if the Kochs bought the entire university. They certainly grafted on their own libertarian faculties and other groups, but I don’t know if the Schar School of Policy and Government is one of those or not.

15 Likes

Even if they some how stopped Biden from being sworn in, the President and VP stopping President and VP on January 20th. So, assuming this was possible, we would be president-less for awhile? There have been other president-less nations due to scandal and such.

But this feels like a doomer conspiracy that is unlikely.

But then again, who the fuck knows at this point. :confused:

14 Likes

The idea is that each vote is a separate issue though. And not just 306, the republicans could show good faith and lack of political motivation by challenging the votes for Trump too.

5 Likes

Is there anything in the Constitution that would explicitly forbid the Senate Sergeant at Arms from punching Ted Cruz right in the neck?

36 Likes

Wouldn’t this just mean that Pelosi becomes acting President at noon on the 20th?

25 Likes

GMU law school ain’t gonna name itself Antonin Scalia by itself.

9 Likes

Exactly. Would anything stop the endless speculation and widespread distribution of political doomsday scenarios? Apparently not. Hopefully, there’s no limit to the topics that can set to Muted so I can watch the news for updates on this subject in January and keep focusing on what’s actually happening.

18 Likes

First, a few honest Republican senators could vote for Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, since her ticket actually won.

I think this is likely, and actually would be my plan if I were a Republican self-styled evil genius.
Senate elects Harris as VP. The House doesn’t vote, because the Republicans would surely elect Trump.

Harris has claim to the presidency. Republicans show that this was the Democrats radical plan all along. You thought you were voting for Biden, but they knew all along that they were pulling a bait and switch.

The senate vote shows Republicans were acting in good faith, while the Democrats blocking a house vote shows the Democratic worries about voter suppression were all BS and they are the ones stealing the election just like Trump said they would.

4 Likes

At this point I think it’s my liver that’s getting wringed.

17 Likes

No.

That’s it. There’s no quorum. Period.

Dems walk out every time they pull this shit until Jan 20th, which is the end of trump and Pence’s term. Then they get interim president Pelosi until they act like fucking adults again.

27 Likes

Only until someone can arrange a meeting between the Chief Justice and the Speaker Of The House.

No, but there is something in Ted Cruz’s body plan: the near total lack of a well-defined neckal region.

13 Likes

Nope. President Pelosi.

25 Likes

Why must people insist on keeping me fucking anxious through to the new year?

9 Likes

Pelosi will take the oath of office, and be president. Pence will take the oath of office and claim he is president. Trump will take the oath of office on TV from a podium in the White House with the great seal of the POTUS (the greatest seal, really, everyone says so) and the vast majority of the country will wonder WTF is going on.

If you watch CNN, you will see that it is complicated and Pelosi is prez. If you watch OANN, you will see that it is simple, and Trump is president. If you read the NYT, you will learn that the only way to save democracy is to recognize Trump as president for life.

16 Likes

Not if the Senate can elect a VP first.

You mean New York Post…

9 Likes