Would anything stop Ted Cruz from pulling this dirty trick to prevent Biden from being sworn in?

Oh come on, @frauenfelder. Betteridge would like a word with you.

8 Likes

Thanks for digging out the Act and posting! Yes, it’s clear that the most they could cause would be a two hour debate on each of the states’ results, not every Electoral College vote. They could easily get through that before Jan 20 if they had to - it would be a hard slog, but the Dems could do it. And the GOP would lose more Independents and Republicans who don’t approve of destroying the country.

7 Likes

Of course, the only reason McTurtle is going along with accepting Biden as President-elect now is that continuing to indulge in Trump’s fantasies is hurting the GA runoff elections for Republicans.

Since the runoff is Jan 5th and the EC count is the 6th, Mitch may very well change his mind and support such a coup. It’s not like he has any moral fiber to begin with.

4 Likes

Just remember that Ted is spineless, so his head would just bounce around. No less satisfying, though.

1 Like

16 Likes

What was unsaid is that the NYT wanted to protect Northern investors who were deep in Slavery Capitalism: Bond issues backed by slave mortgages, and then multiplied by ten through fractional reserve banking.

“Leave the South alone, while we shift our money to other investments, maybe.”

6 Likes

How is this not answered?

Unfortunately 1) as with this example, both men would become heroes to their respective sides 2) it wouldn’t actually improve anything, and 3) would probably make things worse, helping move us along on the same path as before.

To be fair, it’s tough to have a well defined neckal region when you have no spine.

7 Likes

I think Moscow Mitch can overrule the quorum requirement. Didn’t he do that for Amy Coney Barrett’s confirmation?

1 Like

That was the Judiciary Committee. But they have quorum rules as well that Graham ignored. I assume the difference is that Senate rules carry the weight of law while Committee rules are simply enforced within the Senate.

1 Like

Also:

1 Like

As a proud Innsmouthian I find your anti-Deep One bigotry hurtful

4 Likes

This thread is a concise explanation of why this scenario is nonsense. To summarize for those not clicking through, all the congressional voting being discussed happens if no candidate receives a majority of electoral votes. Since the challenges being discussed happen during the counting, it’s irrelevant.

To expand on the thread, this belief seems to be a misreading of the 12th Amendment, specifically: “And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President”

The conditional “whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them” would only apply after the votes are counted. And, even if the counting passes the deadline, if one candidate wins a majority of electoral votes, then the right of choice never devolves on the house.

6 Likes

If by anarchy they mean authoritarian warlords. So, not anarchy.

In related news, Biden and Harris are not radical leftists. They aren’t even the left wing of capitalism.

15 Likes

We would have President Nancy Pelosi. And as someone who likes Biden and really likes Harris, I think having a President Pelosi, even if only for a few hours, would be pretty goddamn sweet.

4 Likes

Would the Sergeant at Arms actually follow such an order? The whole fascist coup would require a very obedient (or also fascist) Sergeant at Arms to work.

2 Likes

And if the House sent their Sergeant at Arms to stop them, would they fight, gladiator-style?

8 Likes

Thunder Capitol Dome!

3 Likes

“Best ratings ever!” says CSPAN.

4 Likes

OMG, Cruze actually looks happy in that picture. I think he totally missed his calling. The Open Road and Long-Haired Biker lifestyle calls to him. Is he listening?