Xitter XEO demands advertisers unf*ck themselves and belly up to her Nazi bar

Originally published at: Xitter XEO demands advertisers unf*ck themselves and belly up to her Nazi bar - Boing Boing

8 Likes

Even if it was a coordinated boycott effort why would that be illegal?

38 Likes

Musk certainly knows how to cultivate weak-willed subordinates.

22 Likes

It was certainly a bunch of wank.

21 Likes

So. Much. Bullshit.

11 Likes

To be fair, there are plenty of people who seem absolutely willing to make themselves into subordinates to more powerful people just so they can lord a bit of that power over others…

23 Likes

The old adage is “Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door.”

Not “build a toxic cesspool for Nazis and then demand people advertise on it.”

26 Likes

Demanding that advertisers give you money and suing them when they don’t certainly takes rent-seeking to a new level.

32 Likes

Calling it “indispensable” is an overstatement. Case in point - I don’t use, nor have ever used twitter. It is 100% dispensable. It didn’t even exist 20 years ago. It too will go the way of all social media - it will be thrown away when its usefulness is replaced by something else new and shiny. (Friendster, myspace, ICQ, anyone?)

30 Likes

“She pointed to Musk’s audio interview with former President Donald Trump Monday as an example of how X is uniquely positioned to drive cultural conversation, calling it a “seminal” moment.”

Uniquely positioned? the interview was a technical fiasco from a company that is based in tech.

it’s a free market… adapt or die.
next lawsuit will be forced purchase of Xitter stock?

20 Likes

I was

Even if it was a coordinated boycott effort why would that be illegal?

I was wondering the same, so I looked it up.

Baffling and repugnant as it is to me, it turns out that the answer is actually “maybe.” Group Boycotts by businesses are illegal under the Sherman Antitrust Act if the boycott is “designed to harm a competitor, control prices, or otherwise stifle competition”. (It’s more complicated than that, but that’s the top-line summary.)

Xitter isn’t a “competitor” to the businesses boycotting it, and it would be a stretch to say that what they’re doing is designed to control prices or stifle competition. But arguments could be made about harm and intent, so I’m guessing it will go to trial.

As I understand it, if they’d all come to the conclusion that they didn’t want to do business with X individually, that’s totally legal. The fact that it’s a coordinated effort makes it a question of whether it constitutes anticompetitive behavior.

14 Likes

Beat me to it (pun intended). Maybe is should be semen-al moment.

5 Likes

Etymologically, that’s exactly what it is.

En. “seminal” < OFr. seminal < Lat. sēminālis < sēmen = “seed, semen”.

7 Likes

So voting with your wallet in a “free” market is illegal now. /S
Next, make union strike illegal. …Oops, nvm.

13 Likes

I used to use Twitter and dispensed with using it when the fascist took over and turned it into a Nazi bar.

Barely remember it now.

14 Likes

My most charitable explanation for her behaviour is that she will receive an enormous payoff if she lasts until a date at some point in the future. My less charitable explanation (and the more likely) is that she’s a fellow traveller with Musk.

11 Likes

5 Likes

So that whole wankfest between the useful idiot and his minion was a performance piece staged to provide “evidence” for a case with no merit?

Well, I certainly can’t accuse them of not being devious.

9 Likes

peter dinklage middle finger GIF

10 Likes

With or without having to sue her ex-employer to actually get it?

12 Likes