Yep, the SNES Classic is real and it is coming in September

Well to be fair, they give a shit about their fan base, they just don’t want you to be a fan. The support once you actually buy a Nintendo product, from everything I’ve heard and from my own experiences is top notch. They just don’t want you to buy anything.

EDIT:

Prime example up above. Nintendo, if I recall, was servicing NESes until their parts ran out, I want to say it was right around the 20 year mark.

1 Like

Its kind of a Japanese long term thinking strategy. Even they leave money on the table now, by maintaining their image as a premium brand they hope to keep customers coming back for more over the long run. The legacy stuff is a good example of that. Look how many of us who were enthusiastic customers decades ago are once again willing to part with cash as returning customers to the brand.

1 Like

Can’t say i think it’s a sound strategy purposefully alienating their own fan base just to artificially make their products exclusive.

I didn’t offer any commentary on if it is a “good” or “bad” strategy, just a thought on the type of strategy.

To expand on my thoughts a bit:

1. The Japanese stock market works quite differently from the US. A US company following a long term position would likely be doing share buybacks to avoid the quarterly mentality. In Japan the market has far less liquidity to reflect cross shareholding which can stabilize companies with long term strategies. Nintendo as a Japanese company, listed on the TSE has less to worry about in regards to “alienating the fan base” or investors as some have speculated here.
  2. From a pure strategy study PoV, the sort of long term thinking Nintendo does follows the ideas of Sun Tzu, Miyamoto Musashi & Clausewitz very well. In many ways they compete without competing, operating from a solid position of strength.

Not all of their products need to be “hits” or kept on the market forever and this follows the thoughts of those three afformentioned strategy thinkers without risking share price or their relationship with their banks and suppliers due to less need for short term reporting.

After the stupidity that was the Amiibo shortage and the NES classic never getting shipped to any store in the numbers they ordered?

Nintendo can fuck off.

This is the funny thing. You think having every game ever made on a gaming platform is this kind of amazing gift, wish fulfillment on an impossible level undreamt of as a kid. All! The! Games! Like some Richie Rich in the 80s or early 90s, whose parents bought every game!

Then you realize… it was a very angry genie, and having your childhood wish granted for every game ever … is … a kind of curse. :frowning: Because most of those games were bad. Really, really bad.

What these game metadata services desperately need is a ratings system so you can filter out all the C, D, and F- games.

3 Likes

I bet we won’t actually be able to buy this one either.

2 Likes

Let me just head out to my garage where I keep a copy of every cartridge ever made and the tools to dump them…

I wonder where i got all those hundreds of ROMS back in my college days. I don’t recall even owning a system! :thinking:

For $80…??? fuhgeddaboutit!

Well, you did say you got them in your college days. I forget a lot of things from back then too.

1 Like

It’s definitely a blur, though pretty sure i would have noticed buying cartridges for a console i didn’t own with money i didn’t have :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve also been playing Super Punch Out and, hate to say this, but it’s better than the original in many ways.

1 Like

It’s cool that Earthbound is on it but it needs Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle, Harvest Moon, EVO the search for Eden, Pilotwings, Secret of Evermore, final fantasy II, Breath of fire 1+2, and mega man soccer. I had sega and sega cd, my stepbrother had snes, I would buy this soley to play kirbys dream course and ff3

1 Like

Sure but there may be licensing issues or the custom chips in some of those Square games may be an issue.

I, for one, want a teeny black xbox with Ghost Recon and Cell Damage installed and a miniature gigantic controller.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.